Episode 10: A Treasure Like No Other

My parents were in a foul mood the next morning.

Father puffed a cigar at the breakfast table, which he only did when distracted or vexed. He wore a display device over one eye, tracing navigation gestures in the air with two fingers as he perused the Net. A gold-accented coffee cup and platter of poached eggs lay before him, cold and untouched.

Mother picked at her bowl of colorful fruit with a fork, but ate nothing. The anxious tap of her rings against the table annoyed me.

Though they'd spent much conjugal time recently, they were as standoffish as ever. They must have argued again. I'd seen them mope like this after many petty spats.

I hoped to catch Mother in private soon, so I could ask about my biological father. It might be impossible, given her current temperament.

"Are you leaving today, Mama?" Castor asked.

"Yes, my shuttle departs this afternoon. I need to go home for a while."

"But, why?" He pouted, an irksome habit. "This is your home."

Father's uncovered eye darted up, observing. He pressed his lips to a firm line, then continued browsing his data, stern and silent.

"It is," Mother said. "But I need to make sure Highveld is in order, and Juno misses me if I'm away for long."

Castor's lower lip trembled. "I miss you when you're away, more than a silly bird ever could. Please, don't go."

I rolled my eyes, grateful that my glasses disguised it. Why did my brother always act so immature?

"I'll return soon, my darling," she said, nervously peeling a grape, then popping it into her mouth.

"How soon? Even with Grandfather's funeral, we've been like a real family for once. I want you to stay all the time."

Father watched for her response with one eyebrow cocked.

"I travel all over Earth for the mission," she said, with a heavy sigh. "It's easier for me to do so when I'm on the homeworld. As long as your father prefers to live at Silvring Hall, this is the way it must be."

"Why don't you go with her for a visit to Highveld, son?" Father lifted his head to a proud angle. "You can help her with her charity projects."

Castor sulked, and stared at the floor. "I suppose so."

Mother rested her chin on one palm. "The mission often takes me into active war zones, Richard. It's too dangerous."

"You insisted he was old enough to go to Thohadoun," Father said. "I don't believe your mission facilities are more primitive, or more treacherous. Why do you refuse him?"

She straightened her posture and set her fork down with a dainty flourish. "Very well, as you have no discretion regarding it. Would you like to come, Castor?"

He nodded, without meeting her gaze. "I want Silas and Father to come, too."

"Your brother and I have important meetings this week," Father said. "We don't have the time."

Castor grew solemn and reacted in a way I'd never seen before. "You can all pretend to be happy," he said. "Like you always do. I'll go pack my things." He pushed up from his chair, rattling the silverware. His pained expression mirrored Father's, and they looked much alike at that moment.

"Now are you satisfied?" Mother's tone sliced into Father. "Come with me, Castor. I'll help you prepare."

Once they were gone, Father finally ate. He said nothing and shoved the empty plate away when he finished.