Episode 13: Thresholds

My career sealed itself a few days later. I pledged my loyalty to Blane Industries, and became the full-time assistant to Mr. Tremaine, our Chief Operations Officer. Fritz Tremaine oversaw almost every department. He was a genius at organization and managing personnel. I took great pride in my work, and he praised me often.

On the more subtle side, The Order provided a cornerstone for my occult interests, as well as exploration of my dreams. I attended the gatherings as much as I could. Before long, I earned my own skull ring, which I wore appropriately on my left little finger. I also received a name of power, only used among the circles--Senever.

My Sight remained unpredictable. Though I'd harnessed some control over my nightly visions, those which fell upon me at odd waking times weren't so easily influenced. I learned meditation techniques from Mother, which helped relieve what would otherwise have been a terrifying condition.

A few months after the press conference, Father and I accompanied a mining expedition to a remote area of Mars. The journey had more than one purpose. First, it was to expose me to the working conditions of our crews--the all-important foundation. Secondly, it was for public relations. It boosted morale through the industry to see a father and son from society sharing in difficult work.

Father had yet another motive in taking me along. Many conservative parties were vying for seats in the United Colonial Assembly, the main governing agency of the off-world habitats. Combined with the trade commission, the Assembly ruled the orbital society, each habitat electing representatives. They convened regularly with the free nations of Earth to regulate policy and treaties.

The Pruessian Empire still launched random attacks across the homeworld to display its prowess. Despite these violations, many of the colonies wanted to conduct business with the Kaezer, as he offered tremendous profits under a booming economy. The topic was most controversial, and new sanctions and amendments were constantly argued over.

Being a supporter of the average person, Father identified as a liberal. He'd met several candidates and supporters not long after his triumph at the press conference, and became more involved with them. With the mining venture, he hoped to advance his favorite party's interests.

I liked the idea of politics, but I wasn't fond of currying favor, which it always seemed to require. I preferred a more direct approach. If I needed to accomplish something, I wanted loyal people under my jurisdiction, with little to stand in my way. Results were most valuable to me, and thus the idea of administering a company like Blane Industries was far more appealing than government.

We spent two weeks aboard a mobile excavator, combing the dunes and craters of the Red Planet's free zone for ore. It was unclaimed territory, and all of the companies competed for the best sites. We often encountered Lovejoy-Prynne and Ayala Incorporated, as well as many of the smaller firms. Once a claim was legally established, everyone had to honor it.

A week into our excursion, we detected trouble within our rightful boundaries.

"Mr. Blane, you should have a look at this," said Captain Daniken, a man with decades of experience. He was in charge of the standard crew of five aboard our vehicle, as well as the outpost we stayed at when off-duty. Father and I treated him as our superior, which amused everyone, and encouraged friendly interaction. We also wore standard uniforms and enviro-suits, with no distinction between the commoners and ourselves.

Father climbed the rungs leading to the observation turret, and I followed out of curiosity.

Captain Daniken offered the main viewer, a modified display visor linked to the periscope feed.

"There are no storm warnings for the next several sols," Father said, surveying the situation. "What do you suppose is causing that plume?"

"I'll take a gander we've got unauthorized guests," the captain said.