10:00pm

***unedited**

Jennifer sat in shock for most of the morning, she didn't ask me the normal questions like why now? Where will I go?, what about my family? She simply sat, occasionally she would glance at me, she didn't know it yet but she wasn't going to go to heaven or hell.

She still sat there, simply looking into space, after about 30 min she looked up at the clock and sighed. "Well if I'm going to die today I might as well make the best of it." I sighed with relief, I hated dealing with people who cry for hours. I had changed back into my human form two hours prior to her saying that, so I was able to physically show how relieved I was. She gasped loudly and turned towards me with a sense of thrill in her eyes. "What day is it?" She yelled in excitement. I tilted my head in confusion "uhhhh Saturday?" I responded questionably. She hung her head back and groaned "no stupid!" She turned back to me, I didn't realize what she was talking about. "Constantine! It's Halloween!" She squealed in pure joy. A smile spread across my face. I love Halloween.

She quickly checked out of the hospital, throwing on some old ripped up jeans and a dark red sweater. She walked as quickly as she could to my motorcycle, "we are going to a party!"  I looked at her dumbfounded, "what do you mean we?" I asked her quizzically. She ground at me but laughed we she said "I am not spending my last day a lone, you are going to hang out with me all day. Besides, what else do you have to do?" She was right about that. I sighed in defeat and let her get on the back of my bike. She wouldn't need at helmet, she was scheduled for midnight.

  We arrived at her house in no time, her hands had bin firmly wrapped around my waist, and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it a little to much. Me and her didn't have a chance though, reapers can't date or marry anyone. Placing what little hope I had for us into a box, I pushed it to the back of my mind.

She rushed me inside with excited eyes. "Come on we have to pick out costumes!" She ran around the house with renewed purpose. She does know that she's dying tonight right? "Jennifer you seem very gleeful for someone who's dying." She stopped mid skip and spun on her heel, there wasn't even a hint of sadness in her eyes when she said "we all are dying, some of us are just doing it faster." She then continued to skip around the house. How the hell is she this happy?! "Jennifer, you aren't even a little sad? Not scared or anything?" She once again stopped but this time she turned slowly, sadness present in her movements. " I realized back in the hospital that sitting around in self pity won't help my situation, and if this really is my last day, I don't want to spend it crying in bed, plus, this is my last Halloween. Who knows, maybe I'll become a reaper like you!" Again she skipped up the stairs, disappearing out of site. There has to be more to it, nobody just excepts it in that amount of time, she may not be sad about dying, but she didn't become that way in 10 hours.

I sat at the dining room table and waited for her. I may be old, but I still remember what a woman's closet looks like, and I don't want to go in there. After an hour or so she came running down the stairs with a costume in hand. To me it looked like a pile of black fabric so I refrained from asking her questions. She sighed and gazed up at me, "that's my costume, now I just have to come up with your's." She circled around me slowly, inspecting me. Occasionally she would mumble curses about my height or something incoherent. After a few minutes she stopped in front of me, the excitement in her eyes had only grown. "I have the perfect idea!" She yelled excitedly.

After another hour 12:00pm was past and Jennifer was running out time. She had twelve hours left and she was spending it on me. She dug in her closet and cut up several pieces of clothing. In what felt like a decade, Jennifer was able to create a cloak that was shredded and ripped, it was black with specks of brown here and there. She put it on over my black jeans and shirt. Then she grabbed a black face paint jar and began painting my face(his makeup is the cover of the book).
She ran into the bathroom when she was finished, taking the paint with her. After another century she came out in her costume, she had practically the same cloak on, just tighter around the waist to show her curves, she had painted her face also(her make up is the picture attached). To me she looked absolutely beautiful, the way the black paint around her eyes made the beautiful blue pop. Her hair flowed down her shoulders and back, cascading down in smooth curves and loose waves.

I glanced at the clock, 9:00, "Jennifer we need to leave." I said in a monotone. She glanced at the clock and gasped, she rushed for her keys and dragged me by the arm to the car. The clock on the dash red 10:00 when we reached the party. She smiled and turned to me, leaning close to my ear she whispered slowly, "you have two hours to make this the best day of my life."