Death is a dick

I walked through the field of souls hearing the whispers of the waiting. Some wondered around confused , others looked bored. I almost felt bad for the ones that knew where they where, then again, at least they aren't scared and confused like the others. I scanned over them and guessed were they're going. Hell. Heaven. Hell. Hell. Hell. Heaven. until I finally arrived at the reaper door. I shoved the staff of my scythe into the ground and watched the souls flowed into the ground, slowly people appeared around me, the soles I had collected.

when all the souls were drained from the scythe the doors opened, slowly I walked towards the thrown room. Death was told by God were the souls go (heaven or hell) and he sends them there, but it takes a while because of how any there are, its rare to have none in the fields. On a good day though, he deals with them all and it's quiet.

I don't mean that it takes centuries for death to deal with them, he's very good at his job, it usually takes him a week or two in human time to deal with a soul when it gets here. but the fields are only empty about 3 times a year.

I walked into the thrown room and bowed,  death cleared his throat, signaling for me to stand.
He sat in a dark cloak, I couldn't see his face because of he's hood, but no one has ever seen his face. Some of the reapers wonder if he even had a face.
His voice echoed throughout the room, like long deep waves of chilling ice.

"You have a special task." Not being able to respond so I only stood there. "you need to find this girl" he continued. A picture of the girl I saw in the cemetery appeared in the air. "I want you to keep an eye on her and when she dies, bring her directly to me." He finished.

The only thing that would make sense as to why death wanted me to do this, would be that she's becoming a reaper.
But death also loves to play pranks.
I couldn't blame him though, he has nothing to do here. "you'll have to go under cover, but I've worked all that out." His voice showed that he was proud of himself.
This was sounding more and more like a prank to me, and he seemed to notice. when he spoke again he said, "this isn't a prank reaper, but I assume that you'll have fun on this job."
I almost shook my head. I hated going under cover, I preferred reaping.

I was a class black reaper, the best class. Each reaper was giving a class, the darker the color, the better the reaper: Red was beginners who still had to follow mentors, green was for new reapers just starting to reap alone, blue was the average reaper , purple was exceptional, and black was the best. To earn a new color a reaper must prove its worth by collecting the required number of souls every day for a year, each color requires more souls. When a black reaper goes undercover a purple one will fill in, meaning that when I returned I would have to make up for a lot.
If I could've sighed I would have, death knew I hated going under cover. Sometimes he was just a dick.