The Kings Promise - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Sure I am. Why would I lie about my name?  I don’t like dresses much either, but some are really cool. I would never admit this to anyone but your different; when I wear a dress it makes me feel special.” It was true, as much as I despised wearing dresses; at times I also loved how they made me feel. I felt as if I was a normal girl for once; each dress brought a new excitement and a new story.

“You’re not who you say you are, your eyes betray you. See I have always been able to read the truth through people’s eyes.  I don’t know why you hide your name, but I know you fear anyone finding out who you truly are.”

“You know you’re very smart for your age. Wait, how old are you anyway?’ I asked. I still couldn’t believe she found out my secret.

“I am five,” she spoke boldly for the first time. For some strange reason I really liked this girl, she reminded me of my younger self.

“Well Mia, since I don’t have any spare wooden swords, how about we sneak out side and I can show you my daggers? Most adults say not to let kids have weapons but I say the opposite. If a kid can be trusted then let them have a weapon.”

“You do realise that you’re considered as a child too?”  

“Am not, I’m considered as a grown up because I have a job.”

“Nope, you’re still a kid who probably works for her parents, that means technically you don’t have a job because you’re only helping your parents out.”

“You’re wrong because my parents are gone. They died a long time ago Mia, way before you were born. I was only your age when they died and I have lived on my own ever since. I built up my business on my own.”

“My parents died the other day and now I have no one left.” A tear rolled down her cheek and she swiftly wiped it away and cleared her face of all emotions. She was so like me, and I just had the instant need to comfort her. She stiffened when she felt my arms around her and struggled until I felt her body go limp as she fell into me and her tears came free.

“You have me now and I will look after you sweetie, you may feel like your parents have abandoned, you but in reality there looking over you as we speak. I still speak to my parents even though I may not be able to see them; I know they can see me. I had no one and I know how much it hurts so I am going to be here for you no matter what time of day or night it is.”

She looked up at me and I could see the vulnerability in her eyes for the first time, it was that one look that had me leaving with a sleeping bundle in my arms. After the look she had given me I had went straight over to Madeline, one of the ladies that run the orphanage, and asked to adopt Amelia. I wasn’t shocked that she had been given to me so easily because the reality is that orphans weren’t really cared for, if they run away no one looked for them.

“I can’t believe I’m an aunty now, I’m going to have so much fun with her. I can do her hair and make her new dresses, I can teach her how to act proper and how to talk.” eve explained excitedly.

“Eve, are you not going to tell me off for being stupid and making rash decisions?”