The King's Promise- chapter 4

Chapter 4

My parents died ten years ago and I brought myself up from then on. I built my business up from scratch and I am happy. I go to the local orphanage a lot with Eve. Eve makes the girls dresses and I make the boys wooden swords, we’ve been doing it for years. Yesterday we went and I found Amelia.’ I look at their puzzled faces and it dawned on me that they hadn’t yet made the connection between Amelia and Mia. ‘Mia is Amelia and I adopted her.’

‘Wow that is so nice of you especially because of what you’ve been through but can you really support a kid and live your life the way you dreamed of.’ Caspian answered honestly and I understood what he meant but Mia was part of me now and there was no going back.

‘To be honest dreams can change over time and mine have already started to change. Before the war I wanted to be a knight and I’ll probably always want to be a knight but I’m already classified as different for many ways and even though at times I act like it doesn’t hurt it does. I differ from other girls because I let nothing stop me. I want to be like my parents and day by day I’m getting there. I followed my father’s business steps and took etiquette lessons even though I hated them because it was my mother’s dreams to see me have a family of my own. I lost my mother and brought myself up from Mia’s age and I know how hard it is so my new dream is to make sure no one has to live through what I have. I have all the money I need but continue to work because I love it so, I can pay for anything that Mia will ever want and support her because I know what it’s like. So I’m already fulfilling my dreams and I will be only making new dreams with someone else. So I’m going to be here for Mia.’

‘And I’m going to be right here with you Is. I am going to be the best aunt possible. Now are we going today are what because you said you were coming to the ball which means dress shopping.’ Of course Eve completely forgot that are main purpose was to get crystals but then Mia voiced a question.’

‘Can I go to the ball with you Mummy I would even wear a dress.’ I was unsure but I wasn’t even given the time to answer because Caspian that off course she could come because there would be other children. Tyler backed him up saying that his little brother was going and he was Mia’s age as well as some of his younger cousins.

We headed out the door shortly after and took a carriage to the town’s entrance. It took three hours to get there so we decided to get something to eat first for lunch which made Mia happy as she was dreading the shopping.

After lunch we were heading towards the crystal stall that Eve was talking about whenever Mia fell and even though she didn’t make a sound I could see through her eyes that she was in pain. When I bent down to lift her I felt an arm hold my elbow.

‘let me Iris,’ I looked at him unsure and then down to Mia to see if she minded but she had a small on her face so I nodded to him that I appreciated his help. He lifts Mia in one fluid movement and she giggled which had me smiling. The people who had already been stopping to stare at our group of five and now moved away from Eve and Taylor who were talking together excitedly about something or other to us three. Nearly everyone’s attention was directed at us. There were whispers throughout the crowds as we continued to walk past the many stalls. I looked over at Casper and Mia, who were whispering to each other while Casper give me sideways glances, which I wasn’t sure how to react to so I pretended I wasn’t aware  of what they were doing and turned my attention to the stalls.

After a while we came to the stall selling crystals were Eve was showing Tyler the difference in two crystals that looked identical. Eventually she decided that she had given him enough of a lecture. She then began picking the stones for the sword. She picked an amethyst crystal, orange calcite crystal and a range of other crystals. Being honest I think we had been standing there for over two hours while she examined every crystal. She picked some very small ones that we would glue together so that it would form a circle in the pommel. We had some diamonds for the scabbard to decorate it. This sword would truly be something different. Tyler paid for the crystals as we didn’t want the king to connect Caspian to it, as far as the king knew Caspian hadn’t even thought of anything yet or had totally forgotten about the king’s birthday.