20: Until I Met You

Chapter 20

Later that night, when the breeze had picked up and the stars had come out; the four of us were all still seated on our respective logs joking around.

“So let me get this straight,” I said in amusement, shaking my head at what Evan and Cason had just said. “You two were minding your own business and suddenly, out of nowhere, two senior cheerleaders came up to you to ask you to the prom… and you turned them down.” I stated in disbelief, trying to picture that particular scene in my mind.

Evan and Cason laughed harder at my disbelief and, simply nodded whilst clutching their stomachs and trying to regain their breath.

“I don’t believe you.” I commented stubbornly, not imagining these guys saying no to a date with a pair of cheerleaders.

“It’s completely true.” Evan breathed out as he came down from his laughing fit.

Cason nodded, wiping beneath his eyes quickly to catch any stray tears that had escaped while he was hunched over in hysterics. “We’re telling the truth.” he said, turning to look at me. “Last year, around the beginning of May, I guess the two girls were stupid enough to leave their date choices to the last minute. We were minding our own business like we always had in school when suddenly, a huge cheer routine started in front of us. Not that we didn’t enjoy the dancing, because we did, but we just had better things to do then go to the senior prom with airhead cheerleaders when we were only juniors ourselves.”

Olivia suddenly gasped, as if she was shocked by something Cason had just re-stated. “I remember what you guys are talking about.” she stated enthusiastically, as though she had just had an epiphany on how to end world hunger. “I was walking down the hall at the time and all I remember is that you guys rejected them in less than five seconds before walking away like nothing happened. That was so mean.” she finished, jokingly slapping Evan on the arm as she giggled quietly to herself.

“In our defence,” Evan started, holding his hands up in mock surrender, “We just didn’t want to go to the prom because it was just a dance. Plus, it was with people in the year above us that we barely spoke to.”

“Did you speak to anybody?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow challengingly.

Cason smiled sheepishly and shook his head. “Nope… not really.”

“I thought so.” I replied, shaking my head in amusement as I nudged Cason playfully in the side.

"Oh god,” Olivia started, chuckling at whatever thought had just crossed her mind before she spoke again. “I’m just remembering the expression on the girl’s faces last year. They looked so horrified and embarrassed to have been rejected that they were frozen for a good five minutes before teachers came and sent all of the spectators to class.”

Evan, Cason, and I started chuckling ourselves as we each visualized the scene Olivia had just described in our minds.

“Well, it’s getting late.” Cason commented nonchalantly as he subtly started kicking sand onto the bonfire in front of us. “Do you think we should start packing up and head home?”