4: Until I Met You

Chapter 4

My first day at Crestview High passed rather quickly and without that much trouble. Sure, as the new girl I got a few strange looks and random glances in the halls and throughout my classes, but I expected it to happen so it wasn’t all that horrible.

In my old school, I would be the object of everybody’s torture the minute I walked onto the property line, and now I just seemed to be skirting around the edges of attention, just the way I wanted it.

In all four of my classes I hadn’t actually got any work because it was simply the first day. The teachers, who seemed nice enough, just explained the course expectation to me and the rest of the class before giving us the rest of the period to chat quietly amongst ourselves.

Functions and biology were the only classes that I shared with Olivia this semester, but it looked like we were well on our way to being friends the way that we were so comfortable with each other. It all felt a little strange to me; not talking to somebody my own age for so long and then suddenly, a girl that is similar to me in so many ways approaches me and that was that, we were becoming friends.

I sat with her at lunch as well, but thinking we would eat with the rest of her friends and I would have to branch out even more, made me extremely nervous. I didn’t know if it was a good or bad thing but I quickly discovered why Olivia was being so nice to me – she didn’t actually have any other friends at the school.

I guess with her cute but quirky style that matched her personality, and her amazing ability to study and ace all tests, most of the student body didn’t want to befriend the nerd. It worked for me though as I had quite a nerdy personality myself, and I didn’t see a problem with hanging out with a girl that focused on perfecting her grades as much as a normal girl would focus on perfecting their nail polish.

Once the school bell rung signalling the end of the day, I said goodbye to Olivia before taking the trip home on foot.

That night my mom arrived home just after four, and just as I suspected, she loved teaching the group of kids here just as much as she did back home. Over dinner we shared stories about our days and she smiled when I told her a little bit more about my new friend., telling me she was glad that I was making friends here, even if it was only just one. We then spent the rest of the evening whipping up a batch of chocolate cookies before watching old re-runs of Gilmore Girls together on the sofa. My mom and I had always been close, and it was times like this that I remember how important it is to appreciate the people close to you.

The next morning at school passed by almost the same as the day before however, the teachers were over the first day shock and actually started on the lesson plans they had built for the year. It was only lunch time and I already had a page of calculus review along with a few easy chemical equations to balance and complete.

When the lunch bell rang, I packed up the books and pens that were scattered on my desk in chemistry, sliding them right into my bag before throwing my bag over my shoulder and walking out of the classroom. I still made sure not to pay attention to the few glances I was still getting as the new girl - they weren't bothering me and I didn't need that pressure at the moment.