21: Until I Met You

Chapter 21

“Jessalyn, someone’s here to see you.” my mom announced, making both mine and Olivia’s face turn into masks of confusion.

I pushed myself up off of the couch and walked quickly into the entryway. “Who could be here to see me…” I questioned, trailing off as I rounded the corner and his body came into view. “Cason?”

Cason, who had his hands in his pockets and had his head down, immediately snapped his head up as he heard his name. Sending a friendly smile my way, he lifted one of his hands out of his pocket and waved slightly. “Hey.” he replied, leaving me as confused as ever as to the reason behind his sudden appearance.

“Hi…” I replied in a puzzled tone. In my peripheral vision, I could see that my mom was making her way back upstairs to leave us to talk alone. “Uh, what are you doing here?”

“Well, I happened to be bored out of my mind at the moment and I thought that now would be a perfect time to ease you into being a little more friendly and social with people. You know, take that next step in breaking you out of your shell.” he replied nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders as though it was every day that he showed up at my front door.

“Oh, um…” I stumbled, not really knowing what to say, however, before I could utter another word, I was interrupted by Olivia coming to check what was going on.

“Hey Jessalyn, what’s taking so long?” she asked, her voice trailing towards the entryway. As she finished her question, she turned the corner and her eyes latched onto Cason. “Oh, hey Cason, what are you doing here?” she asked.

Cason, who realized that I wasn’t alone at the moment, looked surprised to see Olivia for a second before his facial expression returned to normal. “Oh, sorry, I thought that you would’ve left by now.” he apologized, obviously thinking he was interrupting our girl’s day. “Forget about what I said Jessa, I’ll see you guys at school on Monday.”

“Wait.” Olivia said, just as Cason was about to turn around and walk back home. “What did you come over here for?” she asked curiously, her head tilting slightly to the side as though she was a lost and confused puppy.

“Oh,” he responded, rubbing the back of his neck in slight discomfort. “I was just gonna take Jessa out for lunch, but I didn’t know you guys were hanging out so I’ll just go.”

Olivia smiled at him, glancing my way quickly before shaking her head and returning her gaze to Cason. “Actually, I was just about to leave so, you guys are free to hang out and do whatever you want.” she told him with a smile on her face.

As her words registered in my mind, I turned my head quickly to look at her and somehow managing not to strain my neck. Before I could say anything though, Cason replied to Olivia.

“Really?” he asked skeptically.

Olivia nodded in confirmation, throwing me off guard as to what the hell she thought she was doing. “Yea, I just have to go and get a couple of things that I left upstairs in Jessalyn’s room and then I’m out of your guys hair and you’re free to go out to lunch.” she replied with a smile on her face, as though she was completely okay with leaving abruptly. “We’ll be right back.” she stated quickly before grabbing my hand quickly and pulling me up the stairs, not letting go until we reached my room and she had the door shut behind us.