11: Until I Met You

Chapter 11

After Cason had dropped me off Friday afternoon, I was stuck sitting around the house worrying that my mom would find out that I skipped.

Honestly, looking back on it now, I have no idea why I was worrying so much.

When my mom walked through the door, I was resting nervously on my bed with a book on my lap, just waiting for my mom to come stomping up the stairs and interrogate me about my whereabouts all day. I waited and waited, but after ten minutes of hearing her messing around in the kitchen, I decided to take a trip downstairs and face the oncoming punishment head on.

As I walked into the kitchen, I had my hands placed behind my back as I fiddled endlessly with my fingers.

“Hey mom.” I greeted warily, knowing her interrogation was coming.

What surprised me was the fact that she turned to look at me with a smile on her face and returned my greeting, however, as I continued a short conversation with her, I realized that she had no idea how I had spent my day.

A weight was lifted off of my shoulders as this knowledge leaked into my brain. I didn’t know if my mom just didn’t answer her phone when the school called or if the administration at the school just didn’t check on the kids in the ‘left-behind’ room, but whatever the reason, I was grateful.

That night my mom had made no plans to go over to the Michaels’ for dinner so, I didn’t have to deal with the boy that is Cason Michaels any more than I wanted to. Don’t get me wrong, I actually did have fun on our little adventure out of the small city; however, I don’t think we were exactly friends.

I think the relationship we shared was one of annoyance. I was simply a rose in bush, content with staying with all the others. And then there was Cason; he was the thorn in my side that was constantly chopped off but would keep coming back.

I didn’t know why he thought I was so interesting, but for the time being, I really didn’t need that specific thorn to be popping up everywhere.

After dinner had finished, which was simply a homemade casserole that my mom had started to cook the second she walked in the door, I dialed Olivia’s phone number like I had promised and we made plans to meet at the library at noon the following day.

When the following day came around, I rolled out of bed at quarter after eleven; giving me just enough time to take a quick shower and get ready.

After scrubbing off all the grime that had built up on my body throughout previous day and night, I wrapped my pink fluffy towel around my midsection and walked into my room to look for a cute but functional outfit for today. It wasn’t as if I was going to a movie premiere or on a date, I was simply meeting a friend at the library and then probably heading out for lunch so, a fancy outfit was definitely not needed.

Taking out a simple pair of tan shorts and a light purple v-neck, I threw them on top of my undergarments, feeling fresh and clean.