On the Run

I was awoken by someone gently shaking my shoulders. I peeled my eyes to see Pan standing over me.

"We're here." He said simply. I rubbed my eyes and got out of the car. I grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder. We were in the parking lot of a very tall hotel building, the lit windows were dots against the night sky. I yawned and followed Pan into the lobby of the building. It was extremely late at night so the only person in the room was the man at the front desk. I wandered off as Peter got a room for us. The lobby was full of couches and vases of flowers, and my eyes drank in the scene. I had never stayed in a hotel before. Peter tapped me on the shoulder and waved the room key around. I followed him down the hall and into an elevator. I walked sluggishly down the hall and into the room. It was huge, with white and blue painted walls. A giant bed was against the wall in the center of the room, with spotless white sheets. A flatscreen TV and leather couch was against the opposite wall, next to a desk. Two doorways led to a bathroom and a small kitchen. On the opposite side of the room was a screen door leading to the balcony.

"Wow." I muttered as we entered the suite. Peter cracked a smile as he set his suitcase down. I dropped my backpack down next to his suitcase, my eyes running over the room.

"This must've been expensive." I said. Peter shrugged like it was nothing. I crossed over to the screen door and walked out onto the balcony, the cool breeze whipping my hair back. I leaned against the railing and looked over the skyscrapers and rushing streets. For the first part of my life, I had lived in the Enchanted Forest. Then I had spent the majority of my life in Neverland. Then I had lived in Storybrooke, which was the biggest town I had ever been to. Compared to the small Maine town, New York City seemed like a whole new world. My expression was awed as I stared at the towering buildings lit up with city lights. Pan stepped out onto the balcony, coming to lean on the railing beside me. I felt his eyes on me as I gazed at the view. He chuckled.

"Like the city?" He asked teasingly. I nodded, my eyes locked on the expanse.

"I've never been to a city outside of Storybrooke." I explained.

"I'll show it to you." Pan said. I turned to look at him. He smiled, genuinely smiled. I couldn't help but smile back as I averted my gaze back to the city. I looked up at the sky.

"You can't see any stars here." I thought out loud. Pan tilted his head back to look.

"Light pollution." Pan said like he was talking to himself. After a while, we both went back inside the room. I went into the bathroom and changed into my pajamas, an oversized t-shirt and a pair of sweat shorts. Pan was sitting on the bed when I emerged from the bathroom. I grabbed a blanket and settled on the couch.

"What are you doing?" Pan asked. I sat up.

"Going to bed." I answered.

"Why are you on the couch?" He asked. I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

"Because I'm going to bed." I said. Pan shook his head, patting the spot on the bed next to him.

"Um, let me think about that...no." I said, lying back down and turning away from Pan. I heard him scoff. The light in the room stayed on as Pan sat on the bed and typed away on his laptop. I tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable on the couch.

"Are you really going to sleep there?" Pan asked, annoyed.

"Yes, is that not clear enough?" I replied. Pan sighed.

"You're so stubborn." He mumbled. I heard the sheets rustle and Pan walked up to the couch. He scooped me up with one fluid motion. He carried me bridal style as I struggled in his hold.