Chapter 22

*im so sorry its been so long I genuinely have no excuse except writer's block, but anywhere here ya go, it gets a bit mature but nobody messaged me angrily last time asking for a clean version so its only the mature version (that's not proofread lol)*

My voice is hoarse from barking orders and my head is spinning slightly from the lights that have been flashing all night, but I'm alive and not fired. As far as I know, at least.

Charlie stands over my shoulder, watching as I scroll through the pictures I've taken tonight for the damage control article. Her hair, still flawless after our long night, falls into my face as she leans in closer to the screen, zooming in on Niall's face in a group shot. It smells like jasmine.

"Hm." I can't read her monosyllables and it makes me even more nervous.

"Hm." Charlie repeats, tapping her fingernails on the shiny wood of the hotel conference room desk.

"Good 'hm' or bad 'hm?'" I draw up the energy to ask.

Waiting a beat to respond, Charlie stands up to her and considerable height. I immediately spring to my feet to, boots clacking against the hardwood floor.

"Surprisingly, a good one. You have good ideas, Andy. You could do well in a more permanent position at a bigger company. You have potential. You're a gifted reporter and photographer. I know some people that might be interested in a young, up and coming journalist like you. Think about whether you're happy where you're at now, and get back to me. Until then, go sleep, and eat something. Have that article emailed to me to go over by 10 pm tomorrow." As soon as she's done, Charlie turns away, already spitting orders at someone to get Simon on the phone for her.

Blinking, I turn to go, shouldering my bag, struck senseless by the direction Charlie had gone. I thought the shoot had gone well, but I hadn't thought it had gone that well. When I thought about the shoot, all I could really see were flashing lights and bared skin. The photoshoot had been sexy alright, but my mind had been stuck on Luke. Niall had shown up on time, looking sober and ready to go, a far cry from the blackout drunk he'd been when I'd dumped him on Luke's doorstep. Luke had followed through and been there for me, but there had never been any doubt in my mind he could deliver on this for me. He'd delivered, and now Charlie was offering me the potential of climbing ladders in the reporting world. Right now, though, I couldn't think about that. I didn't have the brain power left. I haven't slept in 24 hours. We worked through the night, into the morning.

I make my way through the lobby, full of well-dressed business people, immaculate and ready for their day to start. I was just desperate for my day to be over. The over the top glamour of the lobby would usually wow me, but I have an exceptional level of apathy for it right now. Dealing with 4 ridiculous and childish superstars in a mature photoshoot is not easy.

Luckily the elevator is empty when I enter it, and I waste no time in closing the doors to everyone else. But when I go to push the button, I pause. My hand hovers over the button to Luke's floor, and I realize just how much I want to go to his room, bang on the door, strip off all my clothes, and crawl into bed with him. I want him to hold me and wrap his arms around me. I want to fall asleep to the way his chest moves when he breathes. I want to fall asleep to the way he smells. I want to be naked and close with someone I love.

Shit.

I am in love with Luke. Again. Two years had passed and I thought I had gotten over him. Suddenly he's back in my life, and I'm reminded all over again why I fell for him the first time. He was everything I'd ever wanted. We'd been a perfect storm, but there was something about getting caught up in the whirlwinds and the lightning of somebody you loved who was bad for you. Luke was back in my life, for better or worse, and I was in love with him all over again.