Chapter 18

*so this wasn't proofread be gentle with me*

“Am I going to be embarrassed?” I ask Luke nervously as we walk through a back door, past security and techs, into the aftermath of an explosive concert.

Confidently, Luke leads us through the chaos, looking like he knows exactly what he’s doing. “Honestly, I’m pretty sure I’m the one who’s going to end up embarrassed, but with them, I have no clue. Just be prepared, but they’re going to love you. Love you in an obnoxious way, but love anyway.”

He stops at the beginning of the hallway. “Hey, I’m really glad you’re here with me. I know you’ve wanted to meet them forever, and this was their last night in the country for this leg of the tour. I want you to have everything you’ve ever wanted, so I thought I’d start with this.” Luke says quietly, almost shyly, brushing a piece of my hair back from where it had fallen across my eyes.

Standing on my tip toes, I lean in to kiss his cheek. “I wouldn’t miss meeting your friends for the world, even if they weren’t All Time Low.”

With a smile, Luke relaxes a degree, taking my hand again, leading us down the hallway  laid out in front of us.

Luke gives me no warning, walking through a door, and suddenly I’m staring at the band I’ve loved for years. I was definitely not prepared to see the band I’d been wanting to meet since the first time I heard their music.

“Holy shit. Luke, you weren’t messing with us, you actually pulled your shit together and got her back.” Jack Barakat looks at me in shock for a second, before enveloping me in an enormous hug I hadn’t asked for, but was definitely not going to reject.

“Um, hi.” My voice is muffled against his shoulder as I return the enthusiastic hug as best I can while Luke is still gripping my hand tightly in his.

Jack suddenly releases me. “Hi, I’m Jack.”

“I know. I’m Andy.” I count myself lucky for the fact my knees aren’t giving out right now.

“We all know that.” Alex nudges Luke, coming over to hug me too.

“That worries me.” I mutter into the hug, earning myself a laugh.

Rian and Zack give me more space than Alex and Jack did as they introduce themselves, but they both have blinding smiles on like they can’t actually believe I’m here. I can’t actually believe I’m here, but that fact doesn’t seem to matter. Luke never lets go of my hand, even as beers are given to both of us.

The atmosphere is relaxed, playful, but curious, as if before now, they didn’t really even believe I existed.  I’m in awe at finally meeting them, at being able to talk tattoos with Zack Merrick and have an impromptu drum lesson with Rian Dawson. Watching Luke and Alex arm wrestle while Jack narrates is completely out of the realm of how I imagined this night would go. But I can’t shake the looks I see a few of them giving me whenever I lean into Luke.

“You know, the way you guys are acting is kind of freaking me out. What shit has Luke said to you about me and or us before?” I’m huddled into Luke’s side, his arm draped over my shoulder, as Jack and Rian throw things at each other, Zack and Alex sitting across from us.

Luke speaks defensively before anyone else can. “I haven’t said anything weird or personal about you.”

“But we have heard the songs he’s written about you, though.” Alex grins at me as Luke tenses against my side.

I tense too. Songs were a sore subject between us, and I didn’t want to know more than that. Music was too big to not mean the world to either of us.