Chapter 21

*not proofread im so sorry*

"Um, Luke is a really bad driver?" My excuse is terrible, and Charlie knows it. Her eyes narrow, a long look of judgement on her face.

"You're also late."

"I'm so sorry, Charlie, the tra-"

Charlie cuts me off, holding up a perfectly manicured hand, nails long and a shiny black, almost like talons. "I'm not going to say anything about your actions, inappropriate as they may be, if you give me a good enough idea. Remember, Zayn will not be joining us for this."

Sitting down in the chair at the head of the table, she looks at me expectantly. I take a deep breath, and dive right in with the idea that'd been brewing with me all night.

"You said sexy, so we go with sexy. But, it should be an AU photoshoot."

"AU?" Charlie raises her eyebrows, and I can already see her slipping away, and with it, my job.

"Hear me out," I hurry to add in before driving forward, "AU means alternate universe. The fans are crazy about the boys, and ideas about what they'd be like if they weren't in this massive band. What would they be like if they pursued other things? What if Louis was doing football right now? What if Liam had kept running and made it to the Olympics? What if Harry went into physical therapy or baking or whatever the hell he wanted? What if Niall was just a normal university student studying audio engineering? What if? That's what this photoshoot and article would focus on. Where else could their lives have gone? Photos would be more candid than planned, but they'd showcase a side of them where they don't have their every move scrutinized. They wouldn't be One Direction anymore, but just a bunch of lads hanging out together. Article to accompany would be easy, just a small interview with them about what else they could be doing, would they rather be doing it, etcetera. It'd take maybe 24 hours depending on who you have edit the photos."

The fact that Charlie doesn't move an inch, staring at me with an intensity that set my teeth on edge. Up to this point, I didn't even realize how big this photoshoot was supposed to be. It was going to be one of the biggest of my career, apparently. I'm still standing, teetering slightly in my shoes, feeling sand rubbing against my knee inside of my pants. My job was dependent on whatever Charlie thought of the idea that had occurred to me as Luke and I just drove. We could have been anything, anyone else, but we lived in a world where he was a musician and I was a reporter and we had fucked up more than a few times.

Maybe in an alternate universe of our own, we could have been married, and I would have had that baby, and Michael and Ashton would dote on the baby while Calum holds the little bundle. Luke would look on in pride, arm wrapped around me.

In an alternate universe, Luke might have never left, and I would have still had that miscarriage.

In an alternate universe, AJ might have ruined me, and Luke would have killed him for it.

In an alternate universe, Luke might be a boxer.

In an alternate universe, maybe I would have gone to uni and dragged Luke with me.

With just one different decision, our lives could be completely different, and I was entranced with the possibilities. It was an idea for a photoshoot that intrigued me, one that I hoped I could do with the 5sos boys one day if I didn't burn out right now.

Charlie snaps her fingers sharply, jolting me out of thinking about more what-ifs. "I like it."

I deflate in relief. "Oh, thank god."

"Don't thank god yet, we haven't even started. The boys will be here for the shoot in 5 hours, I want outfits and locations nailed down by then." With more snapping of her fingers, more people enter in, swarming over, all talking over one another. They already knew what was going on. I guess my fate was open to everyone, but at least it turned out alright.