Chapter 4

A flash of light woke me up and my eyes burned as I strugled to lift my eyelashes up from the blinding light of the suns rays reflecting In through my window! I must of not closed the curtains last night when I came in... Come to think of it, I don't remember setting foot in the house last night...

My head felt like it was being attacked by pins and needles it was pounding so heavily... I ambled over to my bathroom and glanced at myself in the mirror.

"Eeww." I pulled a disgusted face at how gross I looked; I had slept in my clothes and make up, so my eyeliner and mascara had run down my cheeks like I had been crying; my lipstick was smudged all around my mouth and on my chin. I could pass for a clown right now.

I pulled out my cleanser from the cupboard behind the mirror and washed the hideous make up from my face and hopped in the shower to get rid of the strong smell of alcohol.

I blow dried my curly brunette hair and applied a small amount of foundation, eyeliner and mascara, staring into my green eyes as I do so. I checked myself in the mirror before nodding in approval. I was wearing a plain white t-shirt, black jeans with knee gashes, a red and black flannel tied around my waist and a red bandana secured over my jeans just below my knee.

I heard a knock at the front door and hurried down the stairs. I opened it to see Ava stood there in her pale pink t-shirt and pale blue worn out jeans.
"Hey neighbour." She smiled, giving me a small wave.

"Hey." I smiled back. She was a few years younger than me but we still got on since we were neighbours. I guess you could say we were friends.

"We're playing boardgames at home, do you want to join us?" She asked politey, still smiling as she did.

"Sure im not doing anything." I slipped my red converse shoes on and skipped over to her house with her. She swung open the door and I was greeted with her very kind parents.

"Oh hey Ashley." Linda (her mum) greeted me sweetly. I'd met Linda and Fredi (her dad) when we first arrived here. I'd never met her brother before though. He's never there when I am so i've never had the chance to meet him.

We strolled into the living room and she collapsed onto the couch, whereas I perched on the chair next to the table. We were in the middle of setting up the board game - which was monopoly, when I popped out a question.

"Your brothers not here again?"

"No, he's out doing something important." She replied. She didn't sound too impressed with that. But who would? She never gets to see her brother because he's always "out".

"How old is he? Your brother?" My lips moved and the sentence flowed out, I wasnt even conscious I was speaking...

"He's about the same age as you. How old are you?" She shrugged before turning to face me.

"I'm 16."

"He's 17. Only one year older than you." She shrugged again. A lump formed in my throat making it hard to swallow! Isac was 17 and still a freshman? That means he was repeating 10th grade... That's also why he can drive... It was all adding up now.

We ended up playing two games of monopoly and Ava won both of them. How is she so good at this game?

"I swear you're cheating somehow." I teased her and she pouted.

"Nope. You're just terrible at this game." She teased back. This was our friendship.

Suddenly the front door slammed and we both stared at each other before hearing the sound of footsteps trailing up the stairs.

"I think your brother might be home."

"Yeah it's him." She sighed. "Come on you can come and meet him now, if you want to." I nodded and she grabbed my arms, dragging me up the stairs.

We made our way towards his door which was open by a crack and I peeked through. My heart was banging against my rib cage trying to escape the trapped cage it was in.

Ava slapped her hand on the door and pushed it open. Her brother turned around, his face really gloomy... It was him...

"Isac." I stepped back completely stunned. He... is my neighbour?

"You've met him before?" Ava asked bewildered. I turned and ran, I opened the door and just ran like my life depended on it.
I just had to get away and clear my head. The guy I sit by in chemistry and go to detention with is my neighbour? The guy considered "dangerous" lives right next door to me...

As soon as I set foot in his room, I was hit by the smell. The bitter, revalting smell of tar in the atmosphere. He'd been smoking again... Idiot.

No I don't care about him, I just met him and he's so stubborn and moody. I hate that about him... But it gives me a feeling I can't describe!

I don't know how long I'd been running for but it was beginning to get dark and the burning sun was setting. Oh god, don't tell me... Great, I'm lost.

"Hey are you lost?" I heard an unfamiliar voice which startled me; I turned to see a guy stood there leaning against a large tree trunk. "You know a pretty girl like you shouldn't be out here this late." He slowly inched his way towards me with a disturbing smile growing on his face! Out of intinct I stepped backwards but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me closer to him, until we were almost in cpntact with each other.

I felt very uneasy and uncomfortable. I didn't know who this guy was and I had no idea what he wanted. I struggled to get free from his grip but he gripped my arm securely and grabbed my cheeks with his huge hand, squeezing them together. My heart was in my throat by this point...

"It's a shame you're pretty because I'll miss you." His voice grew raspy and made me very uneasy; He scraped his fingernail up my arm making me feel incredibly uncomfortable...

I was unable to control the tears tumbling down my cheeks. I was unaware I was crying until a drop of the salty water landed on the tip of my lips.

"Please stop..." I cried out to him as the disturbing smirk on his face expanded.

"Mikey let go of her." A familar male voice yelled out and Mikey swirled around still holding me. I glanced up to see the one person I least expected to see: Isac, who was stood there with a firm body-frame and a huge frown dominating his sharply shaped face.

"She wondered into my teritory, no get lost Isac." Mikey spat with resentment in his voice and wrinkles now eloping on his face to form a frown!

"Let her go and no one gets hurt." Isac negotiated with him while he started stepping closer steadily.

I could see the frown firmly stuck like a tattoo on Isac's face. Why was he even here? And how did he know I was here?