Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Amelie

Peering down at the sad suffocating world below me my mind raced with endless annoying thoughts that haunted me every living day of my torturing years. Why had this happened to me? When would all of this end? What had I done to deserve a cruel cruel fate like this? The questions went on and on.

The darkness engulfed me and the bright full moons dazzling light shone on my pale icy skin. My gaze was transfixed on the strange world below me. Everything was so different, so new, so engaging and I had no idea about this strange place. There were no country sides or glorious farm lands. It was just full with endless rows of bricked houses and cluttered dirty streets filled with monstrous cars. People walked down the dark dismal streets and I watched them inquisitively from up on the little cliff. I was miles away and out of sight. They couldn’t see me, but I could see them. My vision was as sharp as a blade and my other heightened senses made me a force to be reckoned with.

I was a predator. The worst creature to ever exist. But I was unknown to the human race. Too theoretical to be real in their eyes. But here I was, looking down on them and picking out which one would fall prey to me next. We were killers. Skilled ones. Every night somebody would die at the hands of my race. I didn’t kill like them though. I couldn’t. It would just be too inhumane. I could hunt and fight but I would never kill. Unless I really had to.

The whistling wind swirled around me and I lifted my face up to the refreshing breeze, closing my eyes and breathing in the sweet scented fresh air. I was totally relaxed and calm. I had no reasons for hunting tonight so there was no point wasting my energy. I would just stay here, closed off to the world, and let my fears and worries just flow right out of me, like a peaceful rushing river. Until a colossal clatter of thunder banged above me in the dark sky along with a penetrating bolt of yellow lighting. The dark clouds filtered through the black silhouette and cold rain hit down the ground and me, making me drenched and freezing. But I didn’t care. After all I didn’t get cold anymore or even feel anymore pain. Weird, right?

Suddenly an ear piercing scream echoed through the atmosphere and rang in my ears. In one watery motion I shot up and listened intently. But everything was silent again. My hearing was exceptionally good and I could hear anything from a bout five miles away, which was where these pain filled cries of help were coming from. I had no idea of what to do. Should I stay and ignore everything that was possibly going on, or should I run and help whatever was out there? Deciding it was best for me to the do the right thing I ran with the speed of a cheetah, flitting through the cold moist air. I was incredibly fast, it came with being what I was. What was the point of being a predator if I wasn’t quick.

Abruptly I stopped. The scent hit me like a tonne of bricks, taking me aback. My head went giddy and I had to take a long deep breath to control myself. I wouldn’t let the other side of me take over. I couldn’t. Summoning up all the will power I had, I focused and carried on, ignoring the desired smell that I craved.

I got to my destination in two seconds flat. Perching on a branch in a tall tree I looked down at the situation I was getting myself into and analysing what was going on. Searching for the problem I scanned the area but I couldn’t see anything. Until another scream came from nearby and my head snapped to the left. Silently I moved down to a lower branch to get a closer a look.

The sight that came next was not a pleasant one.

Lying there on the floor was a young girl about fifteen or sixteen years old who was being viciously tortured. I cringed as the man that loomed over the girl slammed his fist into her bleeding wound in her stomach. The girl screamed again and my heart ached in agony from seeing her suffer. I would have acted in a heart beat if he hadn’t already have stood up and walked away into the night.