Chapter One

Sheikh Sayyad Raid Kaliq Jemal Al-Salman stormed through the palace, his faithful aide, Catherine Tennant, at his side. The scandal was about to hit the airways if he didn't act fast. Something he couldn't allow to happen.

Opening both doors, he stepped in, dressed in his royal robes and head-dress into his mother's suite, where his mother rose to her feet gracefully. Immaculately dressed as always. Chanel.

"What are we going to do?" She asked softly. The only sign of any nerves was the playing of the necklace around her neck, with her fingers. Sayyid paced the room, hands behind his back. Catherine hovered nearby, waiting.

"Stop it, of course. This could bring down our kingdom if it comes out."

"It will come out, you know that, son. The way the Internet is now, nothing stays secret for long."

"Rumours and speculation only. What I need is a new fiancée. It was never really announced who I was marrying. All hushed up, until the unveiling tonight, in front of the gathering." He paused and looked across the quiet, dark-headed beauty, who was always at his side. Her sky-blue eyes widened and run nervous hands down her tailored black dress. Modest, modern, and very chic. Then towards his mother. "What do you think?"

Amber Al-Salman glanced across towards his personal aide, who had been at his side for the last three years. "Maybe. We could say we had been grooming her ready to take her place at your side."

He crossed over and walked around her. "Yes, it could work. Yes, we'd do it. Come." He turned around and started walking out.

Catherine went after him, mind racing, heart pounding. They couldn't be serious. Surely not? "Sayyad," she called softly. He stopped, turning towards her that she pulled up short, and pointed behind her. "What was that all about?"

"I need a fiancée and you are it."

Her eyes widened. Lips parted in shock. "You can't be serious!"

He frowned, perplexed. "I am Catherine. Deadly, and this is a very serious situation. We would announce our engagement, and then after a while, it would, of course, be terminated. Once all this has settled down."

She swallowed hard, licking suddenly dry lips, her heart in her throat. "I can't Sayyad. No one would believe you; a royal prince would never marry someone like me." Her breathing became more laboured as panic rushed through her, breaking out into a cold sweat. "It's impossible."

"My country is at risk. The uncertainly could undermine us all. I cannot allow that Catherine, and you would be well rewarded."

She paled visibly. "I don't want your money, sheikh, and how are you going to explain her?"

"A smokescreen. To keep our relationship a secret. What do you want Catherine? What can I give you to have you agree to this?" She looked at him, her heart pounding in her chest, wanting to break free. The one thing he would never give her. His heart, his love. No, he wanted her to be a part of a farce to save face. 

For his country that was going through a rough period. His forthcoming marriage was going to stabilise that situation. Followed by an heir. With the death of his father, others were trying to undermine his position as ruler. The coronation only days away. He was supposed to announce his engagement tonight until the princess had fled with his cousin.

All hell had broken loose.

She took a deep breath because there was no choice. "I want nothing Sayyid. I'll do it."

"Good." He nodded and continued towards his private office.

"So what happens now," she asked, following him, entering the outer office, where many were working at their desks. Through into her outer office and kept on going into his office that was more of a stateroom than a normal working office.