Chapter 29

-unedited-

Chapter 29:

The sun eventually began to set as the moon began to rise, I tried my best to stop myself from worrying.

It was okay. He was with me.

We stayed there, in his room, talking. He on his bed, me sitting by his desk side right by him, close to him.

He kindly told the other maids to leave whenever they came, never letting them in so they wouldn't see me.

I really did wonder now, what would happen, if they knew I was with him. Would I get in trouble? Be sent off?

What are his parents like?

I watched him as he slowly shut the door and turn to walk towards me, my eyes met his.

"What is it?" I must have looked at him a certain way.

"Nothing," I reassured calmly, looking away as I said it.

"You can tell me," he sat back down and I followed. I always felt the need to stand a few feet behind him whenever he opened the door.

"I was just wondering what would happen," I look at him, "if they did see me with you."

"What would you want to happen?" He looked back at me.

"W-what?" I felt my eyes widen.

What would I want to happen?

"I don't... I don't have a say in what happens," I remind him, my voice uneasy at the thought.

"You always have a say," he tells me but he seemed confused, as if there was something wrong to what I said.

I shake my head at him, "I never did."

There was silence, he only stared at me and I couldn't help but look away, his gaze was too intense.

"The debt that I owe," I breathe heavily, "it was never really mine to owe."

"What do you mean?" He became tense.

The words for stuck in my throat. I had sworn that I would take this to my grave.

"Mary?"

"Something was stolen and it was sold, that is what I'm paying for," I stare at my hands on my lap.

"Why are you paying for it?"

"I was blamed for it," that much I could tell him, "I've had no choice but to keep it a secret" until now.

"But why?" He sounded angry this time.

"Because I had to," I met his eyes again, "I did."

He stays silent for a painful minute before finally speaking up again.

"I wouldn't let them do anything to you," he avoids my eyes as he says so, "at the same time, I wonder if they would even care."

"What do you mean?" I stare at him.

"My father is just happy I'm becoming king, he wouldn't try anything else," his then looks back up to me, "but I'm more interested in what you would do, if they find you with me."

I'm about to ask him again when he continues.

"You push me away, call me 'your highness', I sometimes wish you wouldn't," he whispers, eyes staring deep into mine.

"What do you want me to call you then?" My voice, too, comes out a whisper.

We stared at each other for a long awhile. I began to grow tired, even sleepy. The lights were on in his room and I knew soon enough that they'd have to be off, my mind wandered.