Chapter Eighteen

Morning must have come, judging by the sounds I heard. I heard several people walk up and down the hallway, doors opening and closing, voices. I heard my door creak open and I tensed, then I felt a small hand stroke my hair, I looked up to see Alice.

“We’re getting ready to leave soon.”

I nodded.

“I think we’ll all feel better if you saw us off. Jasper especially, he’s been a mess all night.”

I nodded again, and let out a small “ok.” and followed Alice downstairs. I went out the front door, and towards the gathered Cullens, minus Jasper. I met all of their sympathetic faces. Alice was closest, so I hugged her first, and whispered, “Good luck!”

“I’ll see you in… two to three hours, give or take.” she said, confidently.

I smiled. Next was Edward and Bella since they had to leave.

“I’m so sorry for you, Brighton. This seems so unfair that I get to be with Edward, yet you can’t be with Jasper. I probably wouldn’t be able to handle it.” Bella whispered.

I think the Cullens pretended not to hear. Edward hugged me next, assuring me they’ll all be fine. After that, Carlisle and Esme. “We’ll see you soon, dear.” said Esme.

Then, Rosalie and Emmett. Rosalie gave me a loose hug, and smiled at me. Emmett was the complete opposite. He gave me a bone crushing hug, while saying, “I’ll look after him for you.”

I let out a muffled, “thank you.” Lastly, I turned to the door. Jasper stepped out, with a slight spring to his step. Seeing him caused my hand to fly to my mouth, and a choked sob to escape. He looked at me for a minute, then a second later his arms wrapped around me. I sobbed even more, my hands grasping his shirt.

“Shh… Brighton… I’ll be ok. We’ll all be ok.”

“How am I supposed to know? I won’t be there to keep an eye on you!” I wailed.

“Brighton, I’ll be fine, you’ll see me later. I’ve done this before.” Somehow these words didn’t comforted me, and I sobbed more. He buried his head in my hair, while I continued to sob, his hand rubbing my back. He let out a slight sigh and pulled me closer, before putting both hands on the side of my face.

“Brighton, look at me.”

He pushed my head back, taking his thumbs to rub the tears off my face.

“I love you.”

I stopped crying. Did he really say that, or was I hallucinating? I mean, it was always understood that Jasper and I loved each other, but neither of us had ever said it. Come to think of it, I don’t think he’s ever asked me to be his girlfriend either. I heard Edward laugh, but it seemed so far away.

I sniffed before saying, “I love you too.” My voice was still shaky and wobbly.

A smile spread across his face, causing one to form on mine as well. He kissed me, before leaning back.

“I love you. I’ll see you later.”

My frown came back, but I nodded. He walked me back to the front door of the house, and kissed me one last time, before letting a devilish smile appear on his face. He jogged back to his family, who all waved to me, then they all ran off at lightening quick speed.

I went back inside, feeling as if I had been trodden on. I didn’t know what to do, the house was silent, something I’ve never experienced at the Cullen house before. I flicked on the TV, but found I was too distracted to pay attention. Frustrated, I threw down the remote, and went upstairs.