Chapter Nine

A few months had passed by. Don’t worry I was talking to Edward again, and we had fallen into the same routine. Me saying something stupid, then getting teased for it.

The first week after the fight was hard. I had taken to avoiding Edward, and the rest of the Cullens. Which probably proved Edward’s point, but I was going to go back eventually, I knew that, I was just giving them space. At lunch I sat with Emily, in classes I sat as far away as possible.

After getting home from school on the day of the fight, I decided to call Bella, to apologize for being so mean to her during art. She picked up the phone and said hello.

“Bella, it’s me, Brighton.”

“Oh hey.”

This was already going to be awkward. I asked, just to make sure.

“Is Edward there?”

“Yeah, he’s sitting next to me why?”

“Nevermind, just call me back when he leaves. OK?”

Then I hung up. I don’t know why I bothered, he knew what I was going to do anyways, but I still liked the fact, that he wasn’t there to listen, making it easier for me. About thirty minutes later, I got a call. It was Bella.

“OK, he’s gone.” she said, “What’s going on?”

Her voice was clipped, so I knew she wasn’t too happy with me.

“I’m sorry Bella. I didn’t mean to snap at you. It’s just Edward said some things during Study Hall today and it really got me going, and you were always talking about him, and I really didn’t want to hear about him at the time.” I rushed out.

Her voice softened, “What did he say?”

“Nothing.” I said, not wanting to get him into trouble, and possibly making her question her boyfriend.

“Brighton, what did he say?”

“He said…” I began, “He said he didn’t think I was capable…”

“Capable of what?” she asked.

“Capable of staying around the family, he thinks that I’ll leave. He doesn’t really trust me. It’s OK though.”

We talked for a few minutes after that, she was going to the Cullens. I wanted to go, but knew I couldn’t.

The week after was a hard one. I desperately was missing all the Cullens, even Rosalie. Sitting with Emily, was no treat either. The giggling girls were extra giggly, it was annoying.

My birthday had passed that week too, with no “Happy Birthdays” or anything, except from e-mails from my Mom and friends in Ohio. It was quiet that night as well, as it was a busy night at the household, except for me. I didn’t mind though, I got the TV to myself and had an old movies marathon, singing very loudly to all the tunes. When I had gotten into bed that night, I could have swore I heard voices saying, “Happy Birthday” but I think I was delusional.

In the end, it was Rosalie who brought us all together again. She’s really not bad, she’s nice, she just has a funny way of showing it. I was sitting at the lunch table minding my own business. Not really, I was doing that hair trick again to watch the Cullens, when I saw Rosalie get up and head towards me. I turned to Emily, nodding along, acting like I was paying attention, when Rosalie appeared in front of me.

“We need to talk.” she said, I was already terrified, I think it was the fact that she could snap my neck in two and still look beautiful doing it.