Chapter 6: Dreailight

Recap:
Gemini had stumbled upon the pool of mystical waters by the guidance of Shadow, our still unknown character. As she marveled upon its swirling waters a Knight of her husbands army finally found her calling her husband to his side.

~

Gemini sat in her husbands arms, his warmth wrapping around her like a blanket, his love comforting her. Sangrid and his men had found her alone by a pool of darkened water, a pool she claimed to be clear and bubbling. He had assessed the situation and deemed her unwell, although she felt and looked perfect, there was no way she could be in her right mind. Taking her back to the castle was fine in silence, her head hung low in sadness. He did not know what to say.

"Gemini... I cannot in my right mind believe you."

She was hurt by his continual unbelief, "then please, do not be in your right mind! If that's what it takes then you must believe me! The shadow, he knew! He knew of our passed, about your brother, about..."

"Stop, you were alone and probably afraid." She relaxed a little. "Our minds are dangerous, they can trick us, make us seen things that are not, in order to protect yourself you must be vigilant and strong!"

She sighed in sorrow, "no matter what I say I see you will never believe me," she turned her head facing his, "must you see everything to believe?" She gently kissed him then pushed herself off from his chest, "some things you must believe in, even though you cannot see." She smiled and left his presence walking off to their room. Her footsteps echoed on the stone floor the muffled as she trashed the oak wood stairs, the dark wool accented the light stone and brick architecture and she ascended. The stairs led to a large balcony over looking the main hall inside the castle, it wrapped around the entire circumference of the room allowing everything to be seen. Along the balcony were many doors, each led to its own room, some for the servants and others for royalty or appointed figures of the house of the oak tree. She passed the main balcony and continued up another flight of stairs finally leading to her own room.

In the middle of the main hall was hung a giant flag of their house crest, the oak tree with several stars wrapping around it. It was made by her husbands father and his father before him. One of the most powerful houses in Dreailight. 

Sangrid sat alone, the fire before him began to die as a maid entered bearing more fuel for its hungry flames. She knelt down placing the wood carefully atop the dying flames. She stood brushing her apron of the dust. "Is there anything you would like my lord?"

He smiled, her bright face reminded him of his family, his sister was almost a complete match with her. "No, you may take your leave." Her face brightened as she quickly bowed and rushed off, eager to get to bed for the remaining hours of sleep before the following day began, it would be soon as the sun was already rising.

He rested his hands on his chin, nothing was making sense; the light, his wife's words, the supposed person stalking her in the woods.

"Shadow," he whispered, "where have I heard your description before." Sangrid stood making his way to a flight of stairs leading down to the study, a place full of ancient books and scrolls. Something must be there, a glimpse, a few stray words, a shadow. His footsteps echoed on the cold floor and against the walls of the narrowing corridor, his rhythmic sounds soothing his thoughts. At the bottom a dull brown door awaited him, a light of gold shone under its cracks and flaws. It wasn't a sturdy door, but it wasn't meant for that, too keep others out, only welcome. He grasped the handle and opened as it creaked its rusted hinges.

Sangrid smiled in satisfaction, "I will find it here, there has to be something."

The room was already well lit by torches that lined the walls and ends of each row of shelves. Thousands of books were placed neatly along the shelving, their names and topics grouped together for an easier time. At the end of the long corridor sat an old man cloaked in a brown robe, it's pattern of swirling orange fire and magic. "Welcome my King, what brings you here at this hour?" His voice was raspy and slow, the mark of many years spent learning wisdom and knowledge.