Chapter 3: Earth

This amazing fake was by AAKhan an amazing graphic artist! So thanks to him for that~
Music is Evenstar from the greatest fantasy trilogy of all time, The Lord of the Rings

Listen for full effect while you read!

Recap:
Ara and Lydia just made it back to Lydia's home after seeing an explosion in the distant city come battering towards them from atom a mountain. They are now in Lydia's home basement waiting the blast out.

~

The wave echoed above the huddled four, dust fell from the cracks causing the air to choke them, the sound made their eardrums ring with pain, the low hum shook their chests. Minutes that seemed like hours passed, like it would never end. Then it all stopped. Nothing but silence was left behind by the blast save a few birds chirping its end.

Lydia moved from the huddled circle they had made and moved towards the trap door above them. Her hand touched the lid lightly then pushed it open.

"Lydia wait!" Michael, her dad, yelled.

The door flew back on its creaking hinges, the settled dirt and glass flying back onto the littered living room floor. She peaked out surveying the area then climbed out. "It's fine." She said coming to a full stand. Ara scrambled up after her grabbing Lydia's hand as she helped her up. Ara turned taking no time to look around and helped Lydia's mother, Rachel, out from the basement, her father followed climbing out on his own. He stared in awe at the sight before him, his jaw dropping open in amazement and sorrow.

The four of them stood in a line, all staring at the gaping hole where the door once stood now broken and splintered before them. Outside glowed with a blueish hue by the little, blue specks floating about. The houses in their neighborhood were thrashed, roofs were missing tiles leaving openings and gaping holes in some of the walls. One thing stood out more than the rest, a giant, blue-grey could floated above them billowing upwards then panning outwards as it made contact with the stratosphere and ozone layer.

"What the hell," Michael breathed as he stepped forward through he door. Ara followed speechless as fear gripped her, her heart beginning to beat faster. Lydia was shaken with fear and un-able to move.

"Honey," her mom coaxed, "come here," she pulled her daughter close hugging her as tears began to role down Lydia's cheeks.

"Mom," she whispered in a weak tone, "what's happening!?" Her voice shook with urgency to know the truth, her heart beat hard, harder then it had ever done before.

Ara stood outside staring up, then she remembered. "My family!" She yelled and took off down the street to her home.

"Ara!" Lydia yelled seeing her jolt off at a full run. She ripped herself away from her moms grasp, through the hole and after her friend. "Ara! Hold on!"

"Lydia wait!" Her father yelled but was never heard. Lydia was set on catching Ara, she had to be there if anything went wrong, she knew her family for now was safe, but as for Ara's, she dared not think of what could be wrong.

Ara had no intention of waiting, after seeing what had happened to the nearby homes she could hardly think straight, her focus centered upon reaching her home. She ran until her chest ached from exhaustion, he house now in view. She urged herself on passed the hurt she caused herself. The door to her house was intact exempt for a few minor dents. Each window however was blown out with one creating a huge rift in the wall. She cautiously approached it, the hair on her neck stood up as her adrenalin continued to kick in.

"Mom?" She questioned placing her foot through the hole. She ducked brining her head in. She gasped at the once beautiful interior now destroyed. She climbed fully in and approached the living room from the kitchen. "Dad? Anyone here?"