Chapter 5: Earth

The picture above it a concept for Lydia - thanks to Pinterest -

Recap:  The explosion releasing the blue mist and dust, Ara's mom died in her arms, a box was found that lit up upon their touching it, and they are now headed back to Lydia's home as Ara it left without parents, only her father remains in question as he was in the city when the explosion happened.

~ not edited

Lydia walked through the gaping hole in their wall that lead to the living room, her father and mother were both talking in the kitchen, her mother making a soup on the stove. Ara  followed her through, she noticed the smell that drifted through the air tingling her senses, "red lentil?" She said questioning her own judgement. The smell was sweet with a tinge of saltiness from the bacon.

Lydia took a deep breath through her nose, the sensation causing her mouth to water. "I think you're right!" She replied hurrying into the kitchen, "we're back!"

Her mom and dad turned to see them, their faces instantly lit up with joy, but something was off. Lydia only showed her questioning thoughts for moments before she caught herself. She stepped forwards into their loving arms. "That's it," she thought, "their arms, their veins are a fading blue color, the same as the falling dust outside."

"We're so glad to see you're safe, both of you." Her mom said happily, although her voice cracked in worry, but only so slight. Ara however, picked up on it, the father had exchanged looks with His wife the moment her voice cracked, that alone gave off enough that something was nagging at their hearts. She places the box down on a chair beside her and walked over to Lydia's parents giving them both a hug. They were like parents to her, a second home to come to, now more than ever she felt she needed them. Her usual masked emotions suddenly erupted causing tears to come streaming down, she squeezed tighter onto Cassia, Lydia's mom.

Cassia looked wide eyed at Lydia for the source of Ara's turmoil.

"Honey, what's wrong? Where's your mo..." She stopped herself noticing Lydia's warning, she then mouthed the words "her mother is dead," towards her mom. The disbelief and sorrow showed in her eyes, she had been a close friend to her mother, all of them, both family's were very much so.

"Ara!" She breathed out, "I'm so sorry!" Michael bowed his head hiding the tears in his eyes.

Ara looked up into Cassias eyes, "being sorry won't bring her back."

Cassia only squeezed tighter, her own tears now beginning to fall. "You know you are welcome to stay here, please stay, we are your family."

"Thank you." Ara whispered before breaking away wiping the tears from her face. Looking to Lydia she smiled who smiled back.

"Well, I think it's time for all of us to get some food inside us." Cassia said nodding to her husband who began to fill each bowl with the soup. "Feel free to eat anywhere, just stay here...don't go outside." The last three word were said with fear and warning, she walked away taking two of the bowls Michael had filled, walking back she handed a bowl to each of them, "here you are," she said with a smile, she turned to Lydia, "your father and I need to talk about something, you two mind going to the other room?"

"Um, sure mom." Lydia replied while hesitantly taking the bowl.

"We three can talk later." Cassia turned away following Michael into the dining room.