Mark Jefferson

Mark Jefferson is a photography teacher atBlackwell Academy and the main antagonist of Life Is Strange. He was also a famous photographer in the 90's. He seems to be generally admired by his students, includingMax.

Biography

The following is what Max wrote about Mark in her journal:

Not only is Mark Jefferson one of the best photographers in the world, he's also my teacher. And one of the reasons I wanted to come to Blackwell. How often do you get to be mentored by one of your inspirations? I've always loved his deco and goth style and he's so versatile with all of his incredible print and advertising work. Still, Jefferson can be a bit condescending. He's pretty hip for his age, but kinda aloof and sometimes pretentious. He has this smug smile when he thinks he's right...

But I do think he's preparing us for how tough it is to be a full time "artist". He acts like he understands my own work and obsession with analog images.

He really wants me to enter a photo in this "Everyday Hero" contest but I've done a good job of avoiding that. The winner gets to fly to San Francisco to represent Blackwell Academy and get national exposure. I'd like to think my work could be good enough to win and I'm honored Jefferson even bugs me about the contest.

Background

Personality

Jefferson seems to be an active and passionate teacher. He cares about the work of his students, making sure they enter the "Everyday Heroes" Contest in order to have a chance at progressing their artistic careers. However, his dismissive treatment of Kate's problems as she asks for help in "Out of Time", portrays him as somewhat callous and insensitive.

Jefferson seems to be cautious around the flirtatious nature of his student Victoria. Despite her efforts to flirt with him, he declines; especially as she becomes more explicit in "Chaos Theory". This could be because of the value he places on innocence.

Episode One - "Chrysalis"

Max initially snaps out of her vision in the middle of Jefferson's photography class. Jefferson wants his students to each submit a photo for the "Everyday Heroes" contest. Max tries to avoid it, but he tells her she needs the courage to share her work. Max can rewind several times in order to impress Jefferson; specifically to steal Victoria's answer about the Daguerreian Process, and to quote John Lennon.[1]

After some exploration in the classroom, we can see that he took a picture of his students in the first week of the semester.

Upon speaking with Stella, Max learns of a rumor that Mark had sex with Rachel Amberbefore she went missing.