23 | BETRAYAL

"Okay, stop, stop, stop! Stop!" Peter yelled

I slowed to a stop, thankful for a break. We had only been sprinting through the temple for a few minutes, but because of the hot, dry Mexico air, we were all out of breath.

Peter sighed. "We have to figure out where we are, then we have to figure out how to find Scott and Kira."

Suddenly, Stiles's phone rang. I looked over his shoulder to see who it was from.

"Dad?" I asked Stiles incredulously. "How do you even have service?"

Stiles shrugged, picking up the phone and putting it to his ear. "Hi, dad," he mumbled. Stiles grabbed my arm as dragged me a few feet away from the rest of the group, putting the phone on speaker.

"Dad, okay, I know you're angry-" Stiles started.

"Oh, I'm beyond angry." Dad started from the other line. "I have reached a level of fury that you could not possibly comprehend."

I sighed, jumping into the conversation. "Okay, well, when we get home, you can ground both of us. And you can take away my phone for a month."

"Ground you?" Dad said. "Ground you? I am going to HOBBLE BOTH OF you!"

Stiles and I both winced. After a second, Dad sighed over the line. "Now please, just tell me both of you are alright. Tell me that you're safe."

Stiles sighed. "You want me to lie?"

Dad sighed over the line again. "Okay, tell me what I can do. How can I help?"

"Lydia." Stiles said immediately. "She's at the school. We called Mason to go look for her, but now we haven't heard back from either of them." In a lower voice, Stiles said, "I don't know, Dad. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just... I'm just trying to save my friends."

I looked up at Stiles as Dad said, "Okay. I'll find Lydia and Mason. You two get Scott and Kira. You go save your friends."

"Dad..." I started. "If it's one of the Beserkers at the school, you're gonna need firepower. A lot."

Dad didn't have time to reply before Stiles snatched back the phone and hung up. We went back to the group.

"What do we do now?" Liam asked.

Suddenly, Malia grabbed Liam. "Duck!" She yelled.

We all dropped to the floor just as a low growling noise echoed through the temple: Beserkers.

"GET DOWN, GET DOWN!" Somebody yelled. "GO BACK, GET BACK! GO, GO, GO!"

And suddenly, we were all sprinting through the temple once more as Beserkers chased after us.

After a few more minutes of straight sprinting, the Beserker was still on our tail. Malia turned to Stiles and I. "Go find Kira and Scott!" She yelled, tossing a metal blade to Stiles. Stiles caught it, staring at her as the Beserker advanced on Malia, Liam, and Peter. "Go!"