2 | THE (NOT REALLY) FIRST DAY

Without even meaning to, Liam and I walked to class together

Without even meaning to, Liam and I walked to class together. We walked into Mr. Yukimura's room, and he waved at a dark-skinned guy sitting at a desk, and Liam gestured for me to follow him.

So, Liam sat next to the guy (who introduced himself as Mason), and I sat next to Liam. I glanced at the clock on the wall. 10 minutes until class started.

The last five minutes before class started was when everybody started to pour into the classroom.

The last person to come in through the classroom door before the bell rang was a tall blonde, who looked like she had walked straight out of a fashion show. My upper lip curled in disgust.

"There aren't any seats left," The girl loudly complained to Mr. Yukimura.

Mr. Yukimura looked up from his laptop, and regarded the girl. His eyes quickly swept over the classroom. Noticing the empty seat next to me, I cursed under my breath, knowing what was coming.

"Take the seat right next to the red-haired girl." Mr. Yukimura told the girl. He looked at me. "I'm sorry, miss, what's your name? I haven't looked at the roll yet."

"Emma," I told him.

Mr. Yukimura looked at the girl "Go take a seat next to Emma." He said.

The girl fake-smiled at Mr. Yukimura as she strutted over to me. I tried to ignore her, but as soon as the scent of sweet perfume washed over me, I knew it was over.

"Why are you wearing all black?" She whispered. " What are you, goth?"

I felt my hands ball into fists. I turned to her, and hissed, "Yeah, I'm goth. I'm part of a satanic cult, and if you keep talking to me, I'll put an ancient curse on you that'll make you have permanent acne."

The girl widened her eyes, making her look like an owl with a makeup addiction. "Oh no! I'm going to die!" She whispered in mock-terror.

Mr. Yukimura cleared his throat. "Ladies? In case you didn't notice, the bell just rang."

I gave the girl my most evil look possible, then turned my attention back to the teacher. "Sorry, sir." I mumbled.

Mr. Yukimura nodded, then turned his attention back to his computer. "Alright, guys, I need to take attendance. When I call your name, just say 'here'. No messing around. Got it?"

The class nodded.

Mr. Yukimura started. After the first few names, I heard Liam's. "Liam Dunbar?"

Liam raised his hand. "Here."

"Celeste Eden?"

The girl who had called me goth raised her hand. "Here," she said, batting her eyelashes.

I rolled my eyes. I mostly tuned out from the rest of attendance, until I heard my name called out. "Emma Stilinski?"

I raised by hand. "Here," I said.