11 | HE DOESN'T LIKE ME

emma's pov

As I ran off from Liam, it took a couple seconds for the reality of what I had just done to really sink in

Had I just kissed Liam Dunbar? The person who was supposed to be my friend? On the cheek?

I guess I did it more as a test than anything else. To see if Mason was right. But I don't feel giddy, or excited, or happy, or anything else that a girl should normally feel if she showed a sign of affection to a boy she liked. I feel like I'm about to pass out. No, no, no. This was ridiculous. I was overthinking things. I had never liked Liam, and I definitely wouldn't start now. Mason has just been getting to my head, and in the stress of it all, I acted out.

It was just a sisterly peck on the cheek...

Right?

As I finally found a seat fairly close to the field, my head was buzzing with a million different thoughts. Why had I kissed Liam? What had it meant? How did Liam interpret it? God, he probably thought it was so weird... I had almost completely lost myself in thought when suddenly, I heard a pair of voices call out my name. I turned to the right to see Violet and Mason jogging towards me.

"Hey, guys!" I called, waving them over to where I was. I scooted over a bunch so they could both sit next to me.

"Hey," Violet and Mason both said, sliding in next to me.

"Hey," I said back. I turned to Violet, smirking. "Here for Garrett?" I teased.

Violet shrugged. "You got me," she said. "You here for Liam?"

I immediately shook my head. "For my brother. Why Liam?"

Violet looked puzzled. "But aren't you and Liam da-"

"NO!" I groaned loudly. Mason and Violet stared at me wide-eyed, and I got a couple strange looks from various people in the stands.

I sighed, looking at Violet. "Sorry. It's just that everyone thinks me and Liam are dating. We're just friends. Really."

Violet snorted. "Whatever."

For the last few minutes before the game started, Mason and I talked some.

"So I see you met Brett," he said, looking in the direction of the prep school kids.

"Yeah," I said, wrinkling my nose. "He's kind of an asswipe."

Mason turned back to me. "But he's cute, right?"

I paused. "Wait. You like guys?"

Mason nodded. "I didn't tell you? I'm gay."

I shrugged. "Alright, but what do you see in Brett? If you saw that I met him, you saw what he did!"