Put The Pieces Back Together

Clint Barton

Nat had asked me to sleep in my own bed after the kiss; which was understandable - heart aching yes, but still understandable. I don't even remember shutting my eyes, or even going to sleep for that matter. Difficult as it may be, as awkward as it may be, and as hard as it was going to be I did not regret, nor do I think I ever would regret my actions.

I rolled over on to my side before peaking at the electronic clock on my bedside table - 9:08 am. I groaned before slumping out of bed. After showering and changing my clothes I headed down stairs hankering for the bitter taste of coffee to try and wash away the sweetness of her kiss.

I didn't hear any noise from the living room, the bar room or up-stairs, so my best bet was that Natasha was asleep, but as I headed for the lounge with my freshly brewed cup of coffee, Natasha came through the front door; her forehead glistening with sweat. It was the first time we'd seen each other since last night; and let me tell you this, awkward tension was an understatement. 

"I went jogging" Nat murmured, not looking me in the eyes as she walked passed me. I sighed heavily watching her leave the hallway in which we stood. There were so many things that could have been said, and things that should have been said in that moment, but sadly they weren't. 

I decided it would be best to leave her be for a while, which would leave me some time to go do some archery - my fingers were beginning to itch from the time I'd been away from my bow. "I'm going to do some target practice, I'll be back in a few hours" I shouted to the house, not knowing where Nat was. After a minute of no-reply, I sighed and left the house; carrying my bow and training arrows on my back.

Natasha Romonoff

I didn't sleep at all. I wouldn't let myself sleep in fear of the nightmare coming back, resulting in Clint coming to sleep next to me. I just didn't know what to feel, or how to feel - heck, I didn't want to feel anything.

I even went out jogging at six this morning, hoping it would get my mind off the whole situation, however three hours later and I was more confused than I was before I left. Clint Barton had the best of me, and that was something I didn't know whether to like or hate. He admitted to being in love with me, and I felt the words on the tip of my tongue, because I was in love with Clint, and I had been for some time.

Trusting, loving, living and being normal were things I was not accustomed too. I imagined what life would have been like if I'd gone back to the HYDRA, and if I'd still be killing, and then I wonder if I'd still be me. My mind descends once again, and I imagine if I'd never been taken in by the soviets in the first place, if I was never changed, and if I was normal. What if I got married? What if I had children?

My life was just one big 'What if'.

And that's when I cracked.

Clint Barton

I'd set up a few shoddy target practices around the rocks on the beach, the wind wasn't too fierce and the beach wasn't as crowded as I'd expected. Although it was still rather early, the sun would start blazing and the beach would fill up as soon as noon came around.

I stroked my bow with my hand, feeling the cool metal slide across my fingers. It felt great finally having it back in my hands again. I placed an arrow in to place before pulling the string back preparing to let go, but just as I did flashbacks of Loki and my time belonging to him coursed through my head - catching me off guard. The arrow I had shot had missed the target completely. Brilliant.

I shook my arms by my sides, and stretched my neck. I kept thinking about that feeling I had as he sucked the life out of me; such a dreadful, draining and deathly feeling. A sudden surge of anger passed through me, causing me to grab another arrow, place it into slot and lock it on the target in front of me.