Chapter 20

CHAPTER TWENTY

It was Hannah's aunts birthday that Saturday and as the Monday was a bank holiday, it was decided that a three day trip to Devon was in order.

Hannah was excited; she loved her aunt and uncle very much and couldn't wait to see them. At the beginning of the school year, she had picked out the perfect present for Aunt Sara, a beautiful lilac scrapbook with the word 'family' embroidered  on the cover. Hannah wasn't very artistic, instead much more technical than anyone else in her family. But she had spent a few hours every few days to neatly fill out a few pages. She had looked for ideas on Pinterest for scrapbooking and coupled with photographs of her and Cam and some embellishments she had brought, she had gotten to work.

The final product was rather impressive if she did say so herself. She had only filled out a few pages so Aunt Sara could do the rest and had written a heartfelt letter inside, thanking her for being the closest she had to a real mother.

Her happiness was dulled however in the car on the way over when Cameron broke the silence. "Aunt Jasmine is gonna be there, you know."

Hannah looked out of the window. Although she knew her mother would attend, she didn't know if she wanted to see her. In the past, she would try her hardest to get her mothers attention and was always ignored or put down. Now, she felt like she had gotten to the point where she had accepted her mother didn't want her.

"I know."

The rest of the journey was quiet, soft music filling the silence. Hannah's heart swelled when they'd arrived at Cameron's parents house, her eyes shining. She was wearing a simple outfit for a change, no longer caring about her mothers opinion. Her jeans fit well and she had a plain emerald coloured vest top on, matching the little bow clip holding her fringe back.

Cam threw an arm around her in a rare moment of affection. "You look like a dork," he said, laughing as she scowled at the way he ruined the moment. "I'm joking, you loser. You look as nice as always. Mums gonna love your cheesy present, okay. And on the way home, we'll pick up something nice to eat or go do something fun if it's really bad, okay."

Hannah lifted her leg backwards as high as she could and hit him on the butt with her foot. "Alright, whatever you say, Cammie."

Laughing, he knocked on the door, stepping back to make way for the hurricane that would be his mother.

"Cameron! Hannah! Oh my babies!" Sara squealed, rushing over to them and pulling them both into a hug. Although she was bubbly, short and petite - a complete contrast to her husband - her hugs seemed to be strong enough to make anyone cry in pain.

"Happy birthday!" they simultaneously burst out before laughing together.

"Aw, I've missed you so much. Lord knows why I allow you to live so far, I've got a good mind to drag you back here to keep an eye on you. At least that way I'd see you more often!"

Cameron groaned. "Mum, we talk on the phone all the time and I know you stalk both our Facebooks. It's not like we died in some ditch somewhere."

Hannah elbowed him in the chest, grinning when he grimaced in pain. "Oi, stop worrying her more!"

His mum only shook her head at her sons antics, her dark eyes sparkling. She pulled them both inside the house as they tried to take their shoes off whilst still being held in an affectionate chokehold.

"There they are," a rumbling voice said as the two lifted their heads up to see Cam's dad standing there. He was an intimidating man: very tall, built like a rock and often stoic. But beneath the silence was a soft heart and Hannah adored him.