Chapter Thirty Seven

*Ariel's POV*

I was falling. For how long, I couldn't be sure, but it felt like an eternity. I wasn't screaming, but the wind was. It howled in my ears deafeningly, like a deadly lullaby. I wondered if I would die falling, as I had always feared. Nothing, then bone-shattering impact. Would that be my way to go?

I spread my arms and closed my eyes, sending put one last thought before I let my mind go blank.

Be happy, my love. Be safe.

Now, I was ready to die.

Finally, impact.. But not from the ground. Someone had tackled me from the side in midair and sent the both of us spinning wildly out of control. Arms tightened around my waist before we landed with such force that all the air was stolen from my chest.

I bolted up right, coughing and wheezing in an attempt to get some fresh air. After a few steady breaths, I looked around. I was sitting on a stone bridge, a tall, blonde Elf laying beside me.

"You," I rasped, scrambling for the hilt of my blade. "You saved my life."

The Elf raised his head to look at me, bright blue eyes wild. "Consider us even." He gasped, rubbing his chest.

I flashed back to that day so long ago, floating down a river in a bunch of barrels-

When I spun around, I saw a blonde elf standing on.. standing on Balin and Dwalin. What he didn't see was the Orc on the overlook above him.

"Blondie!" I called as loudly as I could. His regal face snapped in my direction, blue eyes on alert. "Behind you!"

As he turned, the Elf knocked another arrow and let it fly in mere seconds. He looked back at me, his face unreadable. If I didn't know better, I'd say that expression was gratitude.

I'd saved him, and now he'd saved me. We were even.

"Blondie." I breathed, a hand on my ribs, which were flaring with pain. "I didn't think I'd ever be happy to see you."

"My name is Legolas. Use it." He said simply. "She-Dwarf."

"Ariel." I retorted. "Use it."

He almost smiled at me before climbing to his feet. "Until our next meeting."

I stood and met his eyes. "Until then."

We nodded at each other simply before he took off in one directing and I began running the other. How far down had I fallen? I needed to get back to the top of the waterfall.

I made it off the bridge and began scaling the stone steps. One crumbled beneath my feet and almost sent me plumetting, but I was quick enough to jump up the rest before the entire staircase collapsed.

"Thorin!" I yelled, looking around me for anything that seemed familair. "Kili! Dwalin! Anyone?"

The only answer was my own echo, reaching out for those who weren't there. I could Legolas's far-off cries, but part of me thought he might actually stab me if I even insinuated that he needed my help.

My breathing was heaving, a wire of pain lacing through my chest with every inhale. Oh, God, where was I?

I kept going up, and up and up and up. My legs had begun to shake when I heard Thorin's rough tones. I yelled his name, and heard nothing but a cry of surprise in response.