Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

"You know we're one short, right?" I said to Thorin the next morning as we boarded the boat.

I adjusted the new cloak I'd been given. It was nice, very soft and warm, but it suffocated me a bit. Honestly, I missed my own clothes. I'd been given a new bow and quiver full of arrows, though I didn't know what good they would do me now. The craftsmanship was beautiful, leaving the bow smooth under my finger tips.

"Yes, where is Bofur?" Bilbo asked appearing next to us.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin said curtly.

"We'll have to." Balin sighed. "If we're to find the door by nightfall."

I stayed on the dock with Thorin, standing next to him dutifully. I offered smiles and celebratory hugs to all of the company, excited that we would finally reach the mountain. I was only shaken from my good mood when Thorin stopped Kili from getting on the boat.

"Not you." He said gruffly. "We must travel at speed. You will slow us down."

Kili stared at his uncle with a mix of confusion and indignation. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"Not now." Thorin told him.

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened." Kili said, sounding frantic now. "When we first look upon the Halls of our Fathers, Thorin, I want to be there. Ariel, please, tell him."

As much as I wanted Kili with us, I stepped forward. "He's.. he's right. You're hurt. Stay here. Rest. Once you're healed, join us at the mountain."

He gave me a look of betrayal that shattered my heart. I reached out to put a hand on his cheek and he flinched back like I'd swung a blade at him. Slowly, I tried again, as if he was a wounded animal I could tame with patience.

"Please." I whispered, closing the distance between us. My forehead rested on his now, our noses brushing. "I don't know what I would do if something else happened to you."

Kili inhaled shakily. I could feel his hot breath fanning over me. "Men lananubukhs menu."

I stiffened for a moment. "I know."

I pressed a swift, passionate kiss to his lips and tore away, throwing myself down in the front of the boat.

"I'll stay with the lad," Oin grunted from behind me. "My duty lies with the wounded."

"Uncle." I heard Fili's voice, laced with pain. "We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us! You cannot take that away from him!"

"Fili." Thorin interjected, but his nephew kept going.

"I will carry him if I must!"

"One day you will be King and you will understand." Thorin said gravely. "I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one Dwarf. Not even my own kin."

I turned my head, just barely, but enough to see Fili jump out of the boat. Thorin caught his arm, stoping Fili in his tracks.

"Fili, don't be a fool." Thorin said. "You belong with the company."

Fili glared at him before he spat, "I belong with my brother." The heir tore away from his uncle and came to rest at Kili's side.

And then they were cheering and playing horns, the Master sending us off with a speech.

"Go now with our goodwill and good wishes. And may you return bring good fortune to all!"

More cheering, more horns, and we pushed off from the docks. Four of the men were paddling, leaving the rest of us to twiddle our thumbs. Against my better judgement, I cast one final glance back at Kili and wondered if I would ever see him again.

***

The knot in my stomach tightened as we came nearer and nearer to the shoreline. Nearer to Erebor. Soon, we began our long trek over rock and valley, over hill and crest.

Thorin led the seemingly eternal journey and I found myself near the back of the line. For just a moment, my heart clenched when I realized that the two brothers I so often fell into step with weren't here. We came to the cliff overlooking Dale, and I forced the distractions from my mind.

"What is this place?" Bilbo asked.

"It was once the city of Dale." Balin said sadly. "Now it is a ruin. The Desolation of Smaug."

"We're so close." I whispered to myself. The wind blew my hair back, stinging my cheeks and drawing water to my eyes. "We're almost home."

"The sun will soon reach midday." Thorin said, clear and authoritative as always. "We must find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way."

"Wait." Bilbo called. "Isn't this the overlook?"

"Yes." I nodded.

"Gandalf said to meet him here. On no account were we to-"

"Do you see him?" Thorin cut off the Hobbit. "We have no time to wait upon Gandalf."

I blinked. I'd quite forgotten the Wizard.

"We're on our own. Come."

And he was off. I followed Thorin without a second thought. We'd been through Hell and back without Gandalf. We could finish this on our own.