20: Two of a Kind

When I finally open my eyes, the room's light was dimmed. My breath had finally steadied, and my heart had slowed. I don't know how long it has been since Mayor Dominari left. It seems like it's been years.

     When I heard a quiet and sobbing gasp, I gave a start. I crawled to the edge of the prison, pressing my head against the bars in order to see who was there.

      Drayko was sitting with his back to me just outside of the cage. He was curled up with his knees to his chest, leaning against the wall as if he didn't have the strength to hold himself upright. Mayor must have ordered him to stay and watch me while he was gone. Every once in a while, his sides would heave with a whimper. He was crying.

     "Drayko..." I whispered, trying to slip my hand through the bars to touch him. My shackles clinked against each other, creating a noise that crackled through the air like fire. 

     He seemed to flinch away from me, shoulders shaking.

    "I'm so sorry. I understand what it's like..." my voice wobbled, "To be used."

     The sobbing trailed away into silence as the dark boy tried to gather himself. He slowly turned, every movement stiff with pain. He looked at me, showing swollen eyes and tear stained cheeks.

      "Isn't the first time." he murmured sadly. 

       I let my body rest against the cold metal bars, not looking him in the eyes. "We will leave soon, and you won't have to see that man ever again." I promised.

      Drayko nodded slowly, "I won't let him touch you." he said, almost to himself.

     A weak laugh escaped my dry lips, "Don't worry about me. It's not my first time either." I really didn't want him to ever do that again. I would rather I be hurt a thousand times than allow Drayko to take my place. 

      I gave him a glance, "How did you get here, Drayko?" I asked. It just doesn't add up in my brain. How does a good-hearted, innocent boy like this one end up in such a horrible situation? 

      No signs of a melt down pinched his features like I feared they would. Instead a look of exhaustion did. He ran a hand through his messy hair before speaking. "Dad worked for the People Eater. He got me a job as the Mayor's healer, cleaner, cook, whatever you want to call it. Then he, uh...Died." Drayko snipped off the last word, as if he was saying he didn't wish to explain further. "Now they won't let me leave."

     I soaked in this brief story. That's all he really was, a slave, in every aspect of the word. It made me think of Feral, how he was held here without hope of escape. There where nights where Feral, in a sleepy haze, told me of her days as a pup. She told me how she was abused and mocked for most of her life, and didn't even go outside for her first five years at the Citadel. Why did they keep her there? The same reason Drayko is kept here, to be a play-thing to the slime of the wasteland. Was I not in the same situation all those months ago? Where I was kept away from the elements in oder to preserve my beauty? I gazed at Drayko, with his wide brown eyes and sculpted features, and understood his agony. 

      "How long has it been?" I said softly.

     He shrugged, "Thousands of days..." he answered, "I've stopped counting."

      There was a silence in which we simply watched one another. I studied the way the blackened eyelashes curved around his eyes like feathers, reminding me of crows. I took into account the pinkish, flat skin that replaced his finger. I felt a strange warmth prickle my bare skin, even though the stone floor and metal bars were icy cold. Being here was like being ripped away from the only people who understood me, my sisters. Here there was only cruelty and warlords up until I met Drayko. He was broken, but who isn't? Sometimes you can pick up the pieces and create something better than before.

     "I bet you'd like the Citadel. Furiosa is a wonderful leader." I told him, a real smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

      Drayko shifted a bit so he was more comfortable, "Tell me about Citadel." his request sounded like that of a young child asking a parent to tell them about a magical kingdom.

      I moved so I was leaning with my back against the bars, eyes on the dark ceiling. "Well..." I began slowly, "There's the war boys- the ones that are left, anyways- they haven't changed much." That earned me a snort from Drayko.

      "Never seen one up close." He commented, "But I hear they're crazy."

      The image of Nux and Feral flashed behind my eyes, with their faces twisted in hysterical grins and their boots pushing gas petals to the floor. "Most of the time." I said with a laughing edge to my voice. "But they're getting better." I added. "Then there are the other girls who live with me, you know..." I sighed, "The five escaped wives?"

     Drayko nodded in responce.

     "There's Cheedo, The Dag, and Toast. Oh, and The Dag's baby, Angharad." A wistful smile danced across my lips at the image of the little girl with the big blue eyes. "Miss Giddy also lives with us, she's a historian, and The Seed Mother, who tends to the crops." I felt myself rambling, allowing the words to spill over my lips like water. I didn't care, for it was taking both of our minds off of the events from hours ago.

      "The Milk Mothers have their own space now, they're helping tend to gardens and are organizing the Wretched." I didn't really know if Drayko had any idea what I was talking about, but he didn't ask. "There's also Feral, who's Imperator now. She's nearly second in command to Furiosa."

      He smiled weakly back at me, "Sounds almost like...A family." he concluded thoughtfully, "Or at least more of a family than I've had." 

     I turned to look at him, "I'll make sure to introduce you when we get there."

     Drayko squirmed a bit, as if bugs were skittering up his spine, "Capable? I need to tell you something."

     I perked up at his seriousness, "What is it?"

     He avoided my gaze, similar to the day I met him. I could see the instincts exploding in his brain, telling him to hide, to lie, anything to keep Dominari from hurting him again. I felt pity pinch my heart, and I forced myself to remember that I was going to bring him to a new and better life soon.

     "I know when Gastown's planning their next attack."

     I blinked slowly, feeling the gravity of just how important that information was. "When?" I demanded, not unkindly. 

    Drayko's breath was heavy, as if it was causing him pain to tell me. I knew that every cell in his being was hard wired to take Gastown's side. I could practically see memories of his sufferings playing behind his eyes. I gave him an encouraging nod, prompting him to answer. 

     "Fourteen days." he croaked. "They want Citadel to think we've retreated."

       I swallowed dryly, rolling over the thoughts in my brain. That means we had a deadline. I had to get out of here to tell Furiosa about the alliance and of the attack. If I didn't, it could mean total extinction of the Citadel. 

     "Will there be time to escape before then?" I asked.

     Drayko nodded, "If I get the key for the Safekeeping and Max, we could leave in a few days."

     This time,when I reached out for him, he didn't pull away. My hand rested lightly against his, my soft skin brushing his rough skin.

       "Be brave. I'll be praying for you."

-----------------------

A/n: aaaah short chapters. I'm sorry, but there are some pretty long ones coming soon I swear!!