15: Children of War

The car cruised to a halt. My hands were braced against the dashboard to keep me from face planting against the hard surface.  Blaze's driving skills were...Jerky. Every move he made sent a jolt through Botts' ride like an electric shock. At least he understood the difference between the gas petal and brake petal. At first every time I would yell for him to stop the car, he would slam the gas and do a two second burn out. He was going to need some work, that's for sure.

      "It's gettin' dark, how about we quit for the day?" I suggested tiredly, opening the passenger side door with a nudge of my boot.

      Blaze nodded in return, gently prying the steering wheel from its home and handing it to me.

     I flashed him a grateful smile, wrapping my fingers around the bumpy copper. As I left the car, a faint echo of voices reached my ears. It was coming from the caves. For a fleeting moment, I thought those voices were fearful, and I froze. Then I realized that they were, in fact, raised in laughter. I led Blaze back into the maze of tunnels, one sided gaze flicking about for the source of the commotion.

     It was coming from the fighting pits, which was the space that connected the black thumb's cave to the war boys' sleeping quarter. I ducked into the entrance, my mouth quirked up in a curious smile.

      It seems as if all the war boys and new recruits have gathered here. There were playful fistfights churning at the base of the pits, as well as loud conversations and wrestling war pups. My heart surged up with warmth in my chest. War Boys were a ceremonious bunch, as they enjoyed indulging in their own culture. How could they resist a celebration? I suppose to the new recruits, this was the perfect way to learn to become one of us. I could spot the newcomers at once amongst their new comrades, their blows sloppy and their vocabulary free of war boy slang. I didn't even see any of the bitter sneers on the original war boys' faces. All of them seemed to have forgotten old grudges. There was only unity, and companionship.

      As I had put my wheel away when we went past the alter already, I moved forward and melted into the crowd. No one cast me annoyed glances like they used to, before Fury Road. Most of these people never knew me before then, all they knew me as was the veteran Imperator. I searched for someone I knew, perhaps Darah or-

     "Hey, Feral."

     I gave a start, whirling around. Standing there was Nux, with a white bandage attached to the spot on his head where he was hit. He had been ordered to stay at the organic's for a day or so. I have missed his presence, no matter how short of a time he has been away,

    "Hi," I responded, reaching up to brush my fingers against his dressed head wound, "Does it still hurt?" I asked.

     He shook his head, "Jus' a little bump." then a devilish smile crept across his slitted lips, "Gotta show ya somethin'." With that, he took a hold of my hand and began to walk, tugging me along behind him.

     I tripped over a few badly placed rocks and feet, struggling to keep up. His rough hand never left mine despite my clumsy gait. He took me to the far end of the pits, were a small group of two boys and one girl stood. Each of them had a dreamy grin stretching their mouths, and their forms swayed as if being pulled by strings. I furrowed my brows with confusion, trying to find what Nux wanted to show me. 

     Once we made it there, I caught sight of a metal canister being passed around the group, each taking a swig from it. Nux held out his hand to the woman now holding the canister, giving her a friendly dip of the head.

     She hiccuped, giggling, "Sure thing...Buck-oh...!" Then she plopped it into his palm.

     He held the container out to me, "Ya gotta try it. Like tastin' Valhalla." He prompted.