26: Guests

FERAL

      I watched as the fleet grew smaller and smaller in the horizon. I was acutely aware of the Leatherbacks' eyes all watching Nux and I. I wasn't sure how I felt about the current living arrangement. Lately I have been feeling like I am trapped in the confinements of those caves, doomed to drown in the memories that they held. Maybe this was what I needed, a break. The only car left was the Gigahorse, who towered high above the figures standing around it.

     A hand touched my arm, and I jumped, turning to see who it was.

     "I'll show you where you're staying." Tarnish said, gesturing for us to follow him.

     With a glance to Nux, we both allowed him to lead us through thw forest of huts. As we passed through the edge of the village, it was almost as if we had entered a whole new place. Children smeared with dirt and dressed in nothing but gowns made from dark cloth darted around our legs. Elderly folk sat on top of crates and hunks of metal, sewing various clothes and chatting away happily. The able-bodied hauled stacks of fabric, jugs of aqua-cola, or dried animal skins. It was a miracle to me that they were able to aquire so many animals in oder to skin them and make leather from their hides. There was almost a friendly taste in the air around us, as if the brotherly warmth between these people were engrained into the land. This had to be the complete opposite of the Citadel, where everything was metallic and cold. Where the caverns that I called home were dark, this place was light.

     Tarnish stopped so abruptly that I almost ran into him while admiring his town. I gazed at the shack that we would be staying in for the next few days with wide eyes. 

     The walls were slabs of old wood and rock, jammed together with what looked like clay. The roof was made of rusted tin, and appeared to have a square of shining black leather nailed to the top, like an offering to the skies. There was no door, just a sloppily cut hole complete with jagged splinters. 

     "Thank you, for lettin' us stay 'ere." I said to Tarnish gratefully, dipping my head in his direction. 

     He nodded back, then melted back into the stream of people.

      "Much bigger than our spot back home, huh?" Nux chirped, walking towards the doorway and peeking inside.

    "Yeah." I agreed, following him. There really wasn't much to the inside, just empty, with hard sandy floors and no windows. The darkness was becoming more andore prominent, making it even harder to see into the house.

     I strode inside, slipping the eyepatch off my head and the gloves off my hands. With a reliefed sigh, I settled to the floor. Nux came in as well and sat down beside me, staring out the door curiously.

     "I don't think they trust us. They probably are keepin' us here in case Furiosa tries anything." I mused aloud, leaning against the nearest wall.

     Nux let out a little laugh through the breath of his nose, "I bet they think we're crazy."

     "Kami-krazee!" I cackled, twisting my face in a mock snarl.

     "You're about as Kami-krazee as a fly." Nux teased, nudging me with his elbow.

    I shoved him back, snickering, "You wanna see jus' how crazy I can be?" I challenged.

     He poked me on the shoulder, "Gimme your best shot."

    With a playful battle cry, I tackled him to the ground. Now with Nux's hands pinned at either side of his head, I growled, though couldn't hide the smile.

    He lunged upwards, throwing me off of him. I yelped as our positions were flipped and I was the one on the ground. "Gettin' soft, Feral! You used to be a challenge."