Chapter Thirty

Hello readers!

I have not forgotten about all of you. I promise! I'm so sorry for the lack of updates. I should be out of school within the next several weeks and then I'll be cranking out chapters like crazy. Time has not been on my side lately, but updates are coming.

I know this chapter is pretty short, but the next one will be longer. Also, I have an unspoken prayer request. I would really appreciate it if you sent your prayers, and if you're not religious, then please send positive thoughts, to my family and one of my friends who is going through a very hard time. Some things are going on that are getting entirely out of control.

I love you all. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter Thirty

Ariella’s POV

            Daniel Barnes… I racked my brain as I searched for familiar names.  The only Barnes I knew of was the doctor who operated on me when I was shot. I looked at the skinny man with curiosity. He seemed so familiar but I did not recognize him at all.

“I’m sorry, I don’t seem to recognize you,” I told him.

“I wasn’t expecting you to. We’ve never met,” He stated matter-of-factly.

“How do you know me?” I asked.

My nerves were on edge. What did this Daniel Barnes know that I didn’t?

“Wade and Jason,” He spoke.

“How do you know them?” I asked.

“I work with them. I mean, I worked with them. I helped them with the last case before…” Daniel trailed off and looked towards the ground.

“Before Jason was killed,” He finished.

Before I could respond, Daniel quickly began speaking once more.

“They spoke rather highly of you. In fact, Wade gave me a picture of the three of you when I asked what you looked like. I never got to give it back to him… He just left. Disappeared without any notice…”

“Do you know where he went?” I was hopefully expecting answers.

“I’m afraid not. He and his sister left without a trace. It will be better for him, wherever he is. He will get to start over. That’s what he needs,” Daniel answered.

My heart still hurt to think about the two men that impacted my life so much. Tears filled up in my eyes. Daniel frowned as he saw tears fall down my face.

“I don’t really know how to comfort a crying girl. Forgive me. Anyways, I’m so glad that we got to meet, Ariella. It really was a pleasure. I must be on my way now… I’ve got to visit my uncle,” Daniel said.

“What does your uncle do?”

“He’s a doctor.”

Daniel smiled at me before he walked past me. Before he walked out of the doors of the restaurant, he turned around and said, “I can see it now.”