Brave Red

Emily's POV

The bottle made a heavy rolling sound on the polished wood flooring as it spun rapidly. The whole room grew silent as an anxious feeling wrapped around each teenager. The game was fun because of the reactions, but nobody wanted the bottle to land and point on them.

I gulped and bit my lip. Four turns had passed already, and the top of the bottle had not yet landed on me. Frankly, I wouldn't mind kissing someone attractive, but I've never kissed anyone before. And I know you're wondering, "Then why did you agree to play Spin the Bottle?" Well, I still don't know the answer to that myself.

Looking around at the circle, I quickly realized that I wouldn't really want to kiss anybody. Everyone was older than me and looked drunk and sloppy. Of course, not a single drop of alcohol had been inside of me yet, but many people kept telling me to drink a beer.

Everyone snickered softly as the bottle came to a stop and landed on me. Most people looked confused, however. I was one of the only sophomores there, and I definitely wasn't popular. Hell, I wore a slightly over-sized gray sweater and tight leggings. I probably looked basic. My dark brown eyes widened as I stared at the bottle in front of me. I couldn't believe it. If I was second pick, at least I'd know who I'd have to kiss right away, but now I have to wait for another bottle spin.

Trisha looked over at my with her lips pursed, as if she was about to cry or die of laughter. Probably both. She mouthed, "Good luck," and then looked back at the bottle.

The host, a nice junior girl that was friends with me, was the one spinning the bottle, and it was usually pretty funny who the pairing was. The first pairing was a really attractive guy and Trisha, but I thought it was pretty cute at the same time. The second were two shy guys, and it wasn't that bad. The third was basically the opposite of the first; a pretty girl and one of the wanna be guys. I hoped so deeply that I didn't have to kiss an ugly guy. Parties like these matter. There were so many people at the party, and most were upstairs, actually. Only twenty people were playing, or something like that.

The hostess, Kira, spun the bottle. It moved around a bit, swaying towards the other side of the circle, but it didn't stop spinning for a while. I had my fingers crossed on both my hands, but then I remembered that doing that on both hands was bad luck, so I only did it on my right hand. My hands clammed up, and my throat felt dry. The bottle seemed to spin for minutes, but it was really just twenty seconds or so. It's not like I'd know. I wear an antique, broken watch.

The bottle started to slow down, and that only raised my anxiety more. I was scared and so nervous. It slowed down past me, and it went to the right. It passed the really ugly guys, the druggies and video game nuts, but it wasn't going to stop on any of the hot guys either. Then, I clenched my free hand into a first and swallowed a lump in my throat when it landed on a girl. I closed my eyes and gave a silent prayer to God that this wouldn't haunt me for the rest of my life. Like, c'mon, really? My first kiss has to be with a girl? Not only that, but it's some punk girl. She's definitely a junior, and she wore mostly black. Her lipstick was red, and her hair was a bright silver-white. Her eyes were an extremely light blue, and her smirk displayed an overconfidence that I wish I had. I have under-confidence!

Everyone snickered and cheered, excited for such a show. I must've looked horrified because everyone was very amused, and the other girl showed no signs of discomfort. That scared me even more.

"Emily, right?" She asked. Her voice was a bit deeper than mine, but I'm sure she was shorter than me. I had no idea who she was, except for the fact that I saw her once or twice during the party.

I knew that she was the type of girl that waltzed around with other girls, so I assumed she was a lesbian. Her confidence was just too great for her to be straight, honestly.

I nodded and awkwardly scooted forward so we were close together. She was on her knees, but standing straight up on them. I was sitting on my legs, and we were still relatively the same height.

"The name's Jynx. Nice to meet your lips," she said with a smug laugh. The whole circle of juniors laughed, and I could quickly feel my cheeks heat up intensely. This girl was funny, I had to admit, but her attitude just made me nervous.

I'm the shy, nerdy girl in 10th grade, and I'm about to kiss a punk in the grade above me!

She wrapped her arms around my neck, and I immediately flinched. This was horrible. What if someone took pictures and posted it on Instagram and Twitter?! Oh man, everyone would see it!

My PARENTS would see it!

Then, without warning, she leaned forward and pressed her lips against mine. I didn't notice, but she was wearing cheesecake Chapstick. I'm very good with my flavors.

I could hear the 'crowd' cheering in the background, and Jynx even giggled into the kiss; her hands moved to my red hot cheeks. I stayed completely still, but I was actually very relaxed. I tried to act like I didn't like it, but I'm pretty sure I started to kiss back after a second.

I could feel her lip ring, and I'm not gonna lie, I thought she was pretty cool. Maybe not my type, but it's not like I had one yet.

Wait, did I really just wonder if a girl was my type? I know what lesbians are like, and I'm not sure if I want to be apart of that.

Then, a few seconds went by, and she let go. Her bright blue eyed stared at my eyes and then my lips, seeming to be satisfied.

"Hot." She winked and sat back down at her original spot in the circle. She sat beside a guy with a lot of tattoos, wearing a muscle tee and ripped skinny jeans, and a tall girl with short black hair wearing all black.

Trisha pulled me back, and I plopped back down onto my butt, astonished at what had just happened. I was so embarrassed, and I didn't know what to feel. I didn't really feel anything from the kiss, but it did feel nice... Not sure if those are the same or not.