The Love Square {25}

***Colin’s POV***

                Collie and I went into the house together. We went up to the kitchen and Collie dug around the cupboards as I poured us some milk.

                Collie came over and sat down across from me, a bag of Doritos in his hands. He set it down and we opened it, beginning to snack on the chips.

                “Collie, I want to tell mom and dad that I’m with Ant,” I said, trying and failing to sound confident. I was absolutely terrified.

                He nodded at me, shifting and slipping an arm around my shoulders. “I know you’re scared, Colin. But it’s the right thing to do. You need to tell them. It’s better for you and Ant. And if they’re assholes to you, I’ll handle it,” he promised.

                I shot him a grateful look. A lot of people thought Collie was heartless. But he really was caring and protective. He just showed his affections in a strange way.

                “How’s your cheek?” I asked, eyeing the bruise there and growing infuriated. Seeing Vance attack my brother like that…and knowing that he was the one who had beaten Ant…God, I had wanted to kill the guy.

                “I’m fine. Don’t go Hulk on me,” he said, rolling his eyes and pulling his arm away from my shoulders. He tossed a chip into his mouth.

                The front door opened and we glanced at each other. I could see a hard look entering Collie’s eyes. He was preparing himself to deal with our homophobic parents.

                I so desperately wished that I could be more like Collie. I had always secretly looked up to him. He didn’t give a damn what anyone thought of him. He was open, and he always stayed true to himself.

                Me? I was lost in secrets because I was scared. I was scared to tell my parents I was bisexual. I had been scared to tell Emma I liked her. Hell, I was even scared to tell my brother I admired him because I was afraid he would make fun of me. I was a coward.

                Our parents came up the stairs. I watched as dad turned down the hallway to go to their bedroom, probably to change out of his nice clothes and into something more comfortable. Mom entered the kitchen, going over to the refrigerator to get a drink.

                “How was sch-”

                She turned to face us and froze, her eyes landing on Collie’s cheek. I watched her anxiously. Was she going to tell him he deserved it for being a faggot?

                “Collier, what happened to your face?” she asked in panic. “It looks like someone punched you!”

                Collie nodded. “Yea, because someone did.”

                “Jake!” mom called. She went over to Collie and tipped his chin so that she could get a better look at his cheek. “Collie, who hurt you?” she demanded.

                Dad came into the kitchen. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

                “Someone punched Collie,” mom said, looking at Collie in concern.

                Collie smacked her hand off. “He punched me because I’m gay, and I told him to leave Ant alone. So quit pretending that you care,” he growled.