The Love Square {3}

My eyes widened as Mrs. Kinney read out Colin’s name. I got to sit next to Colin?! Hell, I didn’t even know he was in this class! TOTALLY FAN GIRLING RIGHT NOW.

                I heard the sound of someone setting their stuff down next to me. I eagerly turned my head, and the smile dropped off my face.

                “You’re not Colin Archer,” I said in confusion.

                I stared at the kid now sitting next to me. He blushed lightly and shook his head, turning to face me.

                “No, I’m not Colin Archer,” he agreed.

                “But she said Colin Archer was sitting there,” I said, glancing around the room for any sign of Colin. Had he transferred into our class?

                “No she didn’t. You need to check your ears,” the kid said with a sigh.

                “Yes she did,” I protested, rolling my eyes. “I know I heard her say Colin Archer.”

                “Collie.”

                “Huh?” I stared at him, still confused.

                “Collie,” he repeated. “She said Collie Archer, not Colin Archer. I’m Collie Archer.”

                “Are you, like, Colin’s cousin or something?” I asked before realizing how stupid I sounded. Archer was a fairly common last name.

                “Colin’s my twin brother,” Collie said, laughing a little.

                WHAT. WHAT DID HE JUST SAY.

                “Colin has a twin brother?!” I cried in surprise. I cupped Collie’s face in my hands and inspected it carefully. “Hm…same facial structure…same cute, button nose…different eye shape, but almost the same eye color…YOU REALLY ARE HIS TWIN BROTHER!”

                I released Collie’s face and stared at him in wonder. Now that I had studied his face, I realized how similar he and Colin looked.

                “We’re fraternal twins,” Collie said, rubbing his cheek and giving me a look that said he thought I was weird.

                “How come I didn’t know Colin had a twin brother? I have been in love with him for five years, and I never knew about you,” I said.

                Collie shrugged. “I’m not social like Colin is. I’m just kind of in the background. Most people don’t even know we’re related.”

                “Is it supposed to be a secret? Because if it’s supposed to be a secret, you’re a big mouth,” I said.

                Collie laughed, a similar sound to Colin’s laugh, and shook his head. “It’s not a secret, Anthony. Most people just never make the connection.”

                “Wait, how do you know my name?” I asked. My eyes widened and I gripped his shoulders tightly. “Colin talks about me all the time doesn’t he? I bet he rants to you about his love for me. I KNEW HE RETURNED MY FEELINGS.”

                Collie’s blush returned and he shook his head at me. “No, actually. I may not be social, but I’m really good with names. I’ve had classes with you for years. Like I said, I’m kind of in the background. As for Colin, he has mentioned you a few times, but only saying how obnoxious you are and how he wishes you would leave him alone.”