The Love Square {2}

“THANK GOD IT’S TIME FOR LUNCH!” I shrieked as the bell rang.

                I jumped out of my seat and pulled Zane with me out of the classroom and down to the senior hallway. I stopped at my locker and began to put in my combination.

                I glanced behind me and frowned deeply. Aw man!

                Colin was walking and talking with his friends. He didn’t even look in my direction as he passed by me, listening to one of his friends tell some joke.

                He laughed and the sound filled my ears. He had such a cute laugh! Gah, if his laugh had cheeks, I would pinch them!

                “Come on Ant. Stop being so depressed over the fact that he isn’t going to beat your face in right now,” Zane said, pulling me down the hallway and into the cafeteria.

                We sat down at our usual table in the corner and I began to eat hungrily. Food and I had such a close relationship. I was surprised Colin wasn’t jealous of it yet! I mean, it got to be in my mouth more than him…and I was constantly touching it…and I always wanted it and dreamt about it…

                GASP. I WAS CHEATING ON COLIN WITH FOOD.

                I pointed a stern finger at the sandwich sitting in front of me. “You better not tell Colin,” I hissed, narrowing my eyes at it.

                “Ant, you do realize that you’re threatening a sandwich, right?” Zane asked.

                “I’m cheating on Colin with it,” I said miserably.

                “Well, we wouldn’t want Colin to find out!” Zane cried, snatching the sandwich away from me and shoving it into his mouth hungrily.

                “Zane!” I whined as I watched him wash down MY sandwich with… “HEY! THAT’S MY ARNOLD PALMER!”

                Zane smiled innocently as he slid my Arnold Palmer back over to me. “I was just making sure your sandwich never got loose lips around Colin.”

                He looked up and the smile slipped off of his face. His face paled and he opened his mouth to tell me something.

                Before Zane got the chance to speak, I felt hands grip the back of my shirt. I smiled happily as Colin pulled me out of my chair and spun me around to face him.

                “Hi Colin!” I said happily. “I was just thinking about you. Were you thinking about me? Obviously you were since you’re here now, dumb questi-”

                Colin slapped his hand over my mouth. “Shut up.”

                I instantly shut up and watched Colin curiously. What was he going to do to me now? Sometimes he dumped water on my head, or flipped my lunch onto the floor. Sometimes he tripped me so that I would face plant into my own food.

                “Colin, he wasn’t bothering you. Let him go,” Zane demanded.

                “No, it’s okay Zane,” I said quickly, pulling Colin’s hand away from my mouth so that I could speak.

                I looked into Colin’s pretty eyes and smiled weakly at him. No matter what he did to me, I would never hate him. He could break every bone in my body and I would forgive him for it. He could embarrass me all he wanted, and I would overlook it.