The Start of Something Beautiful

I was lying in bed on my back staring at the ceiling, twisting the sheets between my fingers. I watched the shadows play on the tiles. I needed to get out of here, just for the night. Caspian had said to just call if I needed him, I wasn't sure what he had meant but I went to my window, stuck my head and out and said to no one in particular.

" Caspian"

A cold breeze clutched at my shirt seconds before Caspian strolled out of the trees at the bottom of the garden. His eyes glowed in the darkness and I smiled as I saw his face lift as he spied me at the window. He jogged the rest of the way and wrapped his bare arms around me.

When he released me, I jumped out the window, clumsily just missing the window edge. Onto the hard ground.

" Come" Caspian said grabbing my hand in his, I was getting used to the chill by now, and pulling me towards the trees.

" Where are we going?" I asked as we broke the barrier of trees and burst into the undergrowth.

" The beach" He replied, pulling me faster and faster.

When we reached the soft sands I was more then a little out of breath, Caspian however was breathing as if just out for his daily stroll. I clutched at my chest as my lungs regained function and decided to start breathing normally. Once I had settled down Caspian motioned me over to a large sand dune. He sat down on the soft warm sand and I sat next to him.

As he lay down I lay in his arms, they were different from Chads. Strong but in a way so different I couldn't begin to see what it was that was different. They were cold and hard as rocks but somehow still created a pillow for my head, his breathing was soft and barely audible even when I pressed my head into his chest.

" Tylah?" Caspian asked.

" Yes?" I replied.

" What is happening with you and Chad?" He asked.

" Nothing, we're friends" I replied honestly.

" I saw the way he looks at you and you were looking at him the same way, like- like you loved him" He said slowly, carefully.

" Caspian I do love him, but its not the same as how I feel for you"

" How do you feel for me?"

" I love you" I said quietly, Caspian went very still. I was worried that I had said the wrong thing. Maybe he didn't know that, hadn't figured it out. Maybe he didn't mean it when he had said that he loved me.

But instead he bent his head so that it touched mine.

" Really?" He asked, his breath ran off my skin sending shivers of anticipation though my body.

" Really" I said. His lips were so close I could feel the cold from his skin brushing on mine. Suddenly his lips were on mine and I felt my body jump inside like someone had just thrown me off a cliff. That weird sinking feeling like I had left my stomach somewhere in the heavens. His lips were ice cold and hard like the rest of his body, but they felt so cold on my skin they began to feel hot. Our lips moved together like an intricate dance, and the coldness spread through my entire body. After about thirty seconds I began hear a soft song from the darkness, from the sand and the waves crashing on the shore. Hauntingly beautiful with every note, It was a Siren song.

6 months later-------

I looked down at the miserable piece of toast lying on my plate and scowled with disgust, Gina sitting across from me laugh choked into her porridge.

" What? Its nasty" I asked her.

" You used to like the toast you know" She smiled.

" Well I have an  excuse, taste buds and pregnancy  don't mix  chicka" I grinned gingerly taking a bite.

" Could you at least control them for another week at least please" She asked stressing the " Please"

It was only a week until my due date and I was virtually pissing myself with nervousness.  Needless to say I was absolutely terrified. I mean I was only seventeen and about to have a child, it would make anyone shaky.

" Yes, Madam" I said chuckling and digging into the offending piece of toast.

For the past six months I had grown closer to Caspian and more sure of the love I felt for him, I had seen him almost every night. Sometimes he would hold me close and his chill would slowly become heat from my own body, sometimes he sat and sang songs softly to the baby. I knew that Caspian would be a part of my child's life and as my boyfriend he had every right to. We had become official about five months ago and I knew that I loved him more then words could express.

I had snuck out with Chad and Gina many times to go and visit Hunter, he seemed to have cleaned himself up. His house smelt normal and he didn't look like an alcoholic hermit anymore. He would sit and for hours he would trace patterns onto my stomach.

Chad had been making things complicated, which was very unusual. He seemed to have let the whole relationship thing go and we had continued on as if nothing had happened. But recently whenever Caspian held me or kissed me Chad's name seemed to play on my mind. But Chad was Chad and I knew I just had to keep telling myself that.

I polished off  breakfast then into the lounge room, Chad was lying on one of the couches eyes shut. Gina followed me out into the lounge. We sat down next to Chad and I shook him until his eyes opened and he made a slight yelping sound.

" That's what you get" I grinned as he propped himself up on his elbow and yawning looked around.

" Tylah, has anyone ever told you not to wake a man when he's sleeping?" Chad questioned.

" Yes but I don't always listen to what people say you should know that by now" I replied.

" Your babies gonna have some weird habits" Gina commented.

" About that... guys I'm scared" I admitted. Gina lent over and hugged me tightly.

" You'll be fine, I promise" Chad smiled.

" How do you know?" I questioned.

" Because you're you" He smiled encouragingly, " Hey after you give birth i'll let you kick me in the nuts because apparently that's the guy version. "

" I don't want to stop you from having kids mate I just wanna have my own."

" Suit yourself, you'll do amazing" Chad said, behind him Gina nodded and down in my belly the baby kicked.