Flirting with Death

I woke up expecting the damp smell and crumbling walls of my dormetary room, but instead I was greeted by green leaves and towering trunks. It didn't take a genius to realise that I was in a forest, I tried to sit up but something pinned me to the leaf covered ground. I looked to my side and smiled, Chad was sleeping softly beside me, his arm drapped over my chest holding me close. . He looked so peaceful like nothing was worrying him which I knew wasn't true. I remembered what had happened last night and smiled, it felt nice to be close to Chad just like old times when we did everything together.

I woke up about an hour later to the sun shining through the trees, warming my face with early morning rays. I turned my face. Chad grinned at me from beside me.

" Sorry for waking you" He chuckled. I shifted my weight so I could prop myself up on my elbow and smiled slightly.

" Morning" I said sleepily, I wondered why nobody had come out to check where we were, althrough it had been pretty late when I had last checked so maybe they hadn't realised yet. I hoped they hadn't I didn't need anymore trouble then I already was in.

" Why are we here? " I asked, I realised we were at the bottom of the garden directly under the treehut.

" Because you scared the bejesus out of me last night, then we talked for like two hours and then you fell asleep and I didn't want to disturb you" He explained.

" Thanks" I smiled, " Are we in trouble?"

" Probably" He replied sitting up and rubbing the leaves off his back.

" I gotta go, I'm late" Chad said suddenly, glancing at his phone before standing up and jogging up the garden, leaving me at the bottom, under the trees. I wondered what he was late for, I hoped it wasn't important. I should ask him about that sometime later.

I sat up, rubbed myself down and started to follow Chad. But maybe I should go to the treehut, I contemplated. I didnt want to face any of the staff quite yet. I started to walk back but as soon as I got under the trees I saw Caspian climbing over the back fence into the trees.

" Morning" I called to him, he stumbled slightly before quickly righting himself.

" Hi" He replied, " What are you doing down here?"

" I should ask you the same question, you should stop doing that, you'll get in trouble" I observed, smiling at him from where I stood.

" Then how an I suppposed to see you?" He asked, I choked slightly on the air I had just breathed in, I know, so smart. I recovered myself quickly.

" Why do you want to see me?" I asked slightly too roughly.

" Why did you say that?" He asked, he seemed genuinely curious. What an idiot!

"Because I wanted to, you gotta problem with that?" I asked raising my voice slightly. I dont know why he made me so mad or even why I was mad at him.

" Your different then what I expected" He said quietly. How could he seem so calm when he knew he was pissing me off.

" Well sorry to dissapoint" I said turning on my heel and beginning to march away. I was so pissed off, who did he think he was telling me what to say, that didn't happen with nornal people.

" Wait" He called, I turned around, ready to yell again but he looked so tame I practically melted. But I manged to keep my voice angry.

" What?!" I said loudly.

" Shh, I just want to try something, Hold still" He almost whispered.

" What the Fuck?" I asked, backing away. I had seen enough horror movies to know that no sane person would just ask to do something without telling me what it was.

" Please" He said. I huffed and crossed my arms standing still. He closed his eyes and started singing, it was a soft song, that somehow pierced deep into my soul. It told stories but the words were unlike any language I knew, it sounded haunting , unearthly, somehow inhuman. Nothing happened. Then  his face went white and his hair began to glow an alien like electric blue exactly like his eyes which were now glowing like laser beams from his face. I just stood and stared.

Suddenly there was a blinding blue flash, directly afterwards a wave of burning, searing, charring heat hit my whole body. I screamed and bent over clutching my face. I could smell my flesh burning on my body. The pain leeching into my soul, seizing every inch of my body. It felt like someone had dropped me into a pool of lava. My eyes lost vision.

" Help!" I managed to choke out faintly. Nothing happened, Why would he do that? Why wasn't he helping? I needed to get away from him, or it, whatever it was it wasn't human. I knew I was going to die, I could feel it happening. My mindi began to glaze over, I couldnt think stright.

I was sure I had died, sure it was all over. Sure there was nothing left. I couldn't feel my body, my mind wasnt reponding. I couldn't feel the burning, I couldnt smell the burning. But I was still there, there was part of me still processing thoughts. Then it all just stopped.

Out of the nothing, I felt a strange relief. I didn't know if it was my mind or something physical. It soothed my body and calmed me down. As I became more aware I realised it was cold and engulfed my entire body. I saw a strange blue light and I could feel the ground beneath me. I seemed to be lying down and I could smell the burning smell in the air. Slowly my vision returned, I was lying on the ground under the trees but I was surrounded by a pulsing blue light. I tried to sit up but the pain began to burn again. I heard a sigh in front of me, the blue light slowly faded and there was a quiet thud and silence.