Blue Fades to Grey

After what felt like hours I finally had the strengh to move my head to look around, what I saw was nothing like what i expected.

I screamed at the horrifying sight.

Caspian lay on the forest floor surronded by water, his hair was messy and stuck to his face, his limbs were splayed at odd angles, his eyes were staring blankly at the sky not seeing. But what made me scream was the fact that his whole body was shaking uncontrollably. It was like nothing I had ever seen, the scream burned trough my body causing the pain to start again. i managed to calm myslef and stop screaming. I needed to help him, i had to help him! I knew that screaming for help was the best thing to do but somehow I knew there was no way to explain this. i needed to keep quiet and help him. But a tiny voice in my head told me to run, to save myself.

" He tried to kill me" I reminded myself. I turned my head away towards the orphanage towards safety, but I knew they would ask endless questions. I couldn't go back. I looked back at Caspian, he didn't look like a murderer, I should go. But something held me there, a feeling I had never felt like this before. I cared about him. But why? It made no sense. I had to resist it I couldn't care for someone like that again I would just get hurt, i shook my head to get rid of the thoughts.

I raised my head and looked down at my body, I very nearly screamed again. My skin was raw red and burnt black. Blotched, raw and peeling, bones showing,I looked like something out of a horror movie. I felt tears roll down my face burning the raw flesh.... I should be dead.

But I wasn't. I gathered all my strengh and rolled onto my front, the leaves and sticks rubbed against my flesh, searing, burning, sending flames of pain through my body. I gritted my teeth, shook the tears away and slowly raised my arm bringing it down in front of my on the rotting brown leaf litter, I used it to pull my body across the forest floor, I leaves and ground scraped into my raw flesh. I groaned quietly but kept going...I had to get to him.

Finally I reached his body, it was still convolsing in a terrifying wasy. Now that I was closer I could see his face, hair plastered, staring empty eyes.... What if he was beyond saving. The thought crawled into my mind and spread, suddenly it dawned on me.. Hes gone.

I broke. Sobs took over my body making my body sudder causing horrible pain but I ignored it. I fell onto his chest, it was as cold as his hands but this time there was something ominous about the chill. His shirt was soaking wet, his chest was strong, It shook against my face but I didn't move. I could see his face, relaxed, peacefull, happy. His eyes were just staring but something was strange, they wern't the striking blue of the Caspian I knew they were a dull grey, like storm clouds. Slowly his body stopped shaking and became still.

His heart wasn't beating.

" Tylah" A small whisper croaked weakly beside my ear. My heart stopped. I almost choaked on the air I was breathing.

" Caspian! " I said suddenly full of energy. He was alive, he wasn't dead. At the sound of his voice I felt whole again.

" Tylah" he repeated,his eyes were glowing brighter then stars.

" Im here" I whispered, running my hand over his face. The cold was once again comforting. Suddenly he raised his head and looked at me with a strange expression.

" Why?" He asked, I didn't understand. What was he talking about.

" Why what" I asked, He didn't answer. Instead I noticed his eyes travelling over my body.. I had forgotten about the burns.

A single tear fell from his right eye onto his already soaking shirt.

" What did I do?" He asked, his voice was quiet, he sounded like he wasn't talking from his body. I could see the hurt and terror in his eyes.

" I don't know" I sighed. He put his hands on my face and lifted it off his chest so he could sit up. He was recovering too quickly, it wasn't human.

Without speaking he lifted me easily into his arms and stood up. I let my head hang over his arm unable to muster the energy to move. He started walking, the movement made my body sway but I couldn't feel the pain anymore. Where we were going I wasn't sure but I could see the trees thinning. Before long my question was answered, I heard waves in the distence. When we arrived at the beach he lay me on the sand at the far end of the beach where nobody ever went. Then he took off at a run towards the sea, now wasn't the time to go swimming. I noticed that when he left me the pain came back. I raised my head from the sand and my eyes followed him to the tide line then he waded out into the breaking waves and dived under leaving me alone on the beach.

He didn't resurface.