Chapter Twenty Four: Follow the Spiders

Years seemed to have past where I was in ghost form, but it was only a few days ... or maybe weeks ... Okay, I honestly have no idea. With no one to talk to, I felt irreparably miserable and lonely. Lucy was missing in action, which was strange if she was something I invented inside my own head, but I had decided that she wasn’t. I decided she was someone else who was acting as a sort of guardian angel or something over me. It probably was false, but it would explain a few things.

As summer crept over the castle I wandered around not knowing day from night, left from right – oh wait, I didn't know that anyway. Harry and Ron had tried to visit Hermione and corporeal me, but visitors were now barred from the hospital wing.

With Dumbledore gone, fear had spread as never before, so that the sun warming the castle walls outside seemed to stop at the windows. There was barely a face to be seen in the school that didn't look worried and tense, and any laughter that rang through the corridors sounded shrill and unnatural and was quickly stifled.  I had gotten sick of yelling at people who couldn't see me, so I just stalked Harry and Ron around.

One person seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere of terror and suspicion. My brother was strutting around the school as though he had just been appointed Head Boy. 

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said proudly thorough a potions lesson. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in ..."

I was lying casually through Harry and Ron's cauldron humming to myself.

"Sir," said Malfoy loudly. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy," said Snape, though he couldn't suppress a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Malfoy, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job - I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir -" Snape smirked as he swept off around the dungeon. I was mimicking vomiting, but realised it was hopeless because no one could see me.  

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger -" The bell rang at that moment, which was lucky; at Malfoy's last words, Ron had leapt off his stool and in the scramble to collect bags and books, his attempts to reach Malfoy went unnoticed.

I punched Malfoy in the head forgetting for a moment I was a ghost thingy.

"Hurry up, I've got to take you all to Herbology," barked Snape over the class's heads, and off they marched, with Harry, Ron, and Dean bringing up the rear, Ron still trying to get loose. It was only safe to let go of him when Snape had seen them out of the castle and they were making their way across the vegetable patch toward the greenhouses. I’m not including myself with ‘them’ because you know, they’re stupid.

The Herbology class was very subdued; there were now three missing from the number, Justin, Hermione, and the visible me.

The corporeal me.

The me who isn't a ghost.

Real Willow.

The other me.

The Other Willow.

I think I could go on with this for hours. 

As everyone got started, I realised Harry was face-to-face with Ernie Macmillan.