Chapter Nineteen: Valentine's

Hermione left the hospital wing, de-whiskered, tail-less, and fur-free, at the beginning of February.

I decided to throw an ‘Oh my God Hermione is Awesome’ party to celebrate. It pretty much involved me throwing streamers around and yelling reasons why I was glad for her return. This included:

“I DON’T NEED TO DISCUSS BROOMSTICKS ANYMORE.”

“I CAN SEE YOUR LOVELY FACE.”

“PAVARTI AND LAVENDER MIGHT FINALLY SHUT UP AND STOP ASKING IF YOU ARE PETRIFIED.”

“I HAVE AN EXCUSE TO TALK MORE.”

“I GET YOU SEE THOSE FACES YOU PULL WHEN I’M ANNOYING, OH LOOK, YOU’RE PULLING ONE NOW.”

After my party (in which most people were irritated by me and left for their dorms) Harry showed her T. M. Riddle's diary and told her the story of how we had found it.

"Oooh, it might have hidden powers," said Hermione enthusiastically, taking the diary and looking at it closely.

"If it has, it's hiding them very well," said Ron. "Maybe it's shy. I don't know why you don't chuck it, Harry."

"I wish I knew why someone did try to chuck it," said Harry. "I wouldn't mind knowing how Riddle got an award for special services to Hogwarts either."

"Could've been anything," said Ron. "Maybe he got thirty O.WL.s or saved a teacher from the giant squid. Maybe he murdered Myrtle; that would've done everyone a favour ...”

I could tell from the arrested look on Harry and Hermione's face that they were thinking what I was thinking.

"What?" said Ron, looking from face to face.

"Well, the Chamber of Secrets was opened fifty years ago, wasn't it?" I said.

"That's what Malfoy said." Harry continued for me.

 "Yeah..." said Ron slowly.

"And this diary is fifty years old," said Hermione, tapping it excitedly.

“So?”

"Oh, Ron, wake up," snapped Hermione. "We know the person who opened the Chamber last time was expelled fifty years ago. We know T. M. Riddle got an award for special services to the school fifty years ago. Well, what if Riddle got his special award for catching the Heir of Slytherin. His diary would probably tell us everything - where the Chamber is, and how to open it, and what sort of creature lives in it - the person who's behind the attacks this time wouldn't want that lying around, would they."

"That's a brilliant theory, Hermione," said Ron, "with just one tiny little flaw. There's nothing written in his diary." But Hermione was pulling her wand out of her bag.

"It might be invisible ink!" she whispered.

She tapped the diary three times and said, "Aparecium!" Nothing happened.

"I'm telling you, there's nothing to find in there," said Ron. "Riddle just got a diary for Christmas and couldn't be bothered filling it in."

Harry wouldn’t throw the diary away, and by some strange means, I understood.

I would see Harry flickering through the pages, even though he knew it was blank. I felt as if I knew the name T. M. Riddle ... but where from?

***

The trio and I were determined to find out more about Riddle, so the next day, we all headed for the trophy room to see his special award.

I was singing a variety of songs the whole time.