Chapter 6

When Christian and I arrive home Sunday night Beth is sitting with Davis in the living room. She's going through a stack of envelopes and Davis is checking off a list.

Beth smiles, "You just missed your sister."

I shrug and Christian sets our bags down, "What a shame," he mumbles.

I smack his shoulder, "She may not be my favorite person either but she's still my sister."

He sighs, "I know."

Davis clears his throat, "Sir, we had some other company this afternoon."

Christian frowns, "Who?"

Davis glances at me and then frowns, "Detective Morrison."

Christian swallows and clears his throat, "Did he mention why?"

Davis shakes his head slowly glancing at me again, "No, but he left his number. He wants you to call him as soon as possible."

Christian nods and takes the card from Davis, "I'll call him tomorrow."

I rest my chin on his shoulder and he kisses my forehead, "Why would a detective need to talk to you?"

He presses his lips together and shrugs, "I'll worry about it later." I frown and he says, "Go change, I'll make you some tea okay?"

I nod and he kisses my forehead again before walking off.

After changing I sit down in the living room and open up my ipad to check my email. I frown when I see I have an email from Mr. Peterson from Vocal.

To: Emerson Cooper

From: Jim Peterson

Subject: Vocal

Dear Emerson,

I know when you left Vocal things were strained, and I know you know that I'm looking for a buyer.

I'd like to meet with you if you're interested in buying my company, please call or email back as soon as possible.

Jim Peterson

CEO Vocal Inc. 

Christian sits next to me as I read the email and he says, "You can work tomorrow."

I look at him and say, "I know, I'm just answering one email."

Monday morning proves to be busy for me.

When I walk out of my office with Mr. Peterson I spot Christian talking to Kelli. He looks up and as I shake Mr. Peterson's hand he says, "I'm sure Mr. Clark is very proud of you. You've turned out to be quite the worker Emerson."

I smile, "I hope you know how much I'm looking forward to taking care of Vocal for you."

He nods and says, "We'll sign the papers tomorrow. I'll see you then."

He nods to Christian and heads to the elevator as Christian walks over, "Vocal huh?"

I nod slowly, "It's what I wanted."

He nods and cups my chin, "I know, I love that you go after what you want."

I bury my face in his neck and he chuckles, "Oh baby, were you afraid I was going to be mad?"

I nod slightly, "Yes."

He rubs my back and says, "I need to talk to you about something. I don't want you to be mad okay?"