Chap. 35

"If we don't stop to pee in the next 60 seconds, this whole car is going to feel my wrath," Emily announced.

"Alright, chill out," Parker said, with a sigh. "Rest stop in 2 miles, can you make it?"

"If you step on it."

"I'll do my best. Put your headphones back in, relax. We'll be there in no time."

I glanced over my shoulder. McKenna still had her headphones in, oblivious to the conversation taken place as she stared intently at her laptop screen, a movie playing out in front of her.

Emily had been listening to music, but now she was shifting around uncomfortably in her seat as she stared out the window, clenching and unclenching her fists.

Parker was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, trying to get over in time to make it to the rest stop. Because I'm pretty sure if he missed the exit, all hell would break loose in this car.

I went back to staring out of the window, my back resting against the seat, as I'd been doing for the past two hours.

Parker had been shooting me glances every once and a while, probably waiting for me to blurt something out or annoy the living shit out of him.

But I just didn't have it in me. Not today.

I felt drained of energy, as though I could sleep another full night although I'd just woken up not too long ago. I reached up and ran my hand across my eyes, biting back a yawn.

Maybe a nap wouldn't be such a bad idea.

"Okay," Parker said, swinging into a parking space at the rest stop. "Does anyone else-"

Both McKenna and Emily abandoned the car, Emily taking off in a waddling-run.

It was clear she desperately had to pee.

"You sure you don't have to go?" Parker questioned. "Because I'm not stopping again until lunch."

Bullshit.

If someone had to pee, it wasn't like Parker was going to make them hold it.

"I don't have to go. I'm perfectly well aware of my bowel movements, thanks."

"I'm just checking."

"Well you don't need to."

He leaned back in his seat, silence settling across the car.

"Is something bothering you?" Parker asked, after a minute ticked by. "You seem really on edge."

I tugged on the tan bracelet on my wrist, calming my nerves down.

I'd let my façade slip, but I had to keep my walls up. Parker had enough shit on his plate, he didn't need to add my problems to it.

"I'm fine," I said, glancing over at him.

His eyebrows immediately furrowed, and he glanced over at me.

"In the true sense of the word," I added. "I just didn't get much sleep last night I guess."

That's a lie. I got a full night's sleep, plus more. And I'm still exhausted.

"Why? Was something keeping you up?"

I just shrugged.

"Well let me know if it happens again tonight."

I nodded in agreement.

I hated that he trusted me so easily. It made me feel like completely and utter shit whenever I lied to him.

But it was for the best. Parker had been under a lot of extra stress lately, and it was evident on his face and through his actions. And just in these past couple of days had he been leveling back out again, smiling a bit more and his temper remaining low.