Do You Know Eva- Chapter Sixteen

• Dedicated to To All The Gay, Straight and Bi's, Lesbians!

Do You Know Eva?

-Chapter Sixteen-

-Prom & Mom–

Previously on Do You Know Eva:

Eva’s father left when she was 12, for no apparent reason. Eva was abused most of her life by her mother Susan, but lately they seem to be getting on.

Eva met Eilish, a young, troubled girl, who brought a gun to school and shot Jones. As Jones lay dying in Eva’s arms, there was something she wanted to tell her, something about her mother, but she died before she could say it. Eva and Jessica have reunited and have decided to let their parents know of their relationship. Susan takes the news well, but Jessica’s foster mom see’s it as a disgrace, as does the local priest, something which Jessica cannot comprehend.

“So it’s finally out? That’s what Jones wanted to tell me?” I ask Susan, she sits on the couch. The sitting room is dark. It’s after midnight. Thunder and lightning clash outside; rain beats against the window.

“Yes, I’m sor-” Susan breaks down in front of me.

“Don’t! I really don’t want to hear it. How could you keep this from me? My whole life has been one big lie.”

“You got to understand Eva, this wasn’t my decision, if you are going to blame anyone it should be your father.”

“So basically I was just a problem to you? No wonder you made my life a living hell.” I start pacing; reeling over then news I have just heard. My prom dress flows around my ankles. Jessica stands at the door of the sitting room leaning against the frame; she too is almost in tears.

“This was supposed to be my night. My night!” I scream.

“Eva, I really am sorry. If it were up to me…”

“What? You wouldn’t have told- would have let me go on living like this? I can’t even look at you right now.” I left up my dress and storm out of the room. The stairs creak as I run up them, Jessica following me. I lead her into my bedroom where I dive onto the bed, my head swirling, I lay against the pillow.

“You okay Eva?” Jessica asks.

“What do you think?”

“I think you need to rest, it’s been a hard night. It will be better in the morning, it always is.” She says, sitting at the edge of my bed and running her fingers through my hair. Before I doze off into what will be an uneasy sleep I say to her:

“You know, all my life I wondered why Susan was so horrible to me, why she hit me, taunted me, stabbed me? And tonight, I finally found out.”

* * * * *

“Wake up Eva. Tonight’s the big night. The night of all nights,” Susan peeks through my bedroom door, the morning of my prom. I stir in my bed, I was already awake, excitement woke me up two hours before my alarm.

“I’m up, I’m awake… ”

“Quick come downstairs, breakfast is on the table.” She smiles and walks out. I climb out of bed into the cold air. Goose bumps travel up my bare legs, I shiver. Jessica stirs in the bed next to me.