Chapter Five≪ Ryan

I sat outside on my front steps listening to my iPod. About an hour had passed and I was wondering if Ryan had gotten lost or something. I checked my phone and it was going on 1:30. Where was he?

I realized something while I was waiting. We were going to meet. He was going to see me and I was going to see him. Eh, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I sighed and went to stand up. Just as I did so, a car pulled up in my driveway. At first I was confused, then I realized who it was when they stepped out of the car. A tall, lean guy strode over to me. I walked down the steps and met him in the middle.

"Hey, I think your sign is wrong," Laughed a familiar voice.

I chuckled. Yup. Ryan.

"Nah, it's correct," I spoke with a smirk.

It was then, for some reason, that I realized I was staring not at his face. I was staring at his signature Sup Guy's face. He was wearing a mask. I could see his mouth, just not the upper half of his face.

"Hehe. . . I see you noticed my mask," He stated nervously.

Had I actually been staring? I blushed in embarrassment.

"S-Sorry!" I stuttered.

He chuckled before saying, "It's fine."

Letting curiosity get to me, I asked, "Umm. . . Is there a reason your wearing a mask. . ?"

He was silent for a moment, then said, "It's not that I don't trust you, because I do, it's just. . . I don't usually feel comfortable around others. I have low self-esteem. I guess you could also say it's slightly because you won't tell me your name. I am actually surprised you're not wearing a mask or something."

I laughed at him. "It's fine. I also guess I should have seen that coming. So, touché."

"Cry: One. Silh: None," Ryan joked.

We both laughed at his comment. It honestly didn't bother me that he was wearing a mask. I understood and respected his reason. I didn't really care if I ever saw his face. As long as we were friends, isn't that all that should matter?

I followed him back over to his car and climbed in the passenger seat. He pulled out of my driveway and headed down the road.

"By the way, sorry it took me so long to get here. I got slightly lost at first," Ryan said with a small laugh at the end.

"It's fine," I replied.

I placed my chin in my palm as I gazed out the window at the passing scenery. The sky was still clear, the trees were beautiful with their array of different colors: orange, red, yellow, and even brown. The leaves littered the ground and roads, turning the place into a sort of Autumn Wonderland.

"Silh?" Ryan spoke.

"Huh?" I turned to look at him.

"I was trying to get your attention," He laughed.

I had been so lost in thought that I hadn't heard him speak to me. I mentally face palmed.

"Eh, sorry," I sheepishly apologized.

He chuckled, then asked, "Like I asked beforehand, how are you? Have you had any. . . Nightmares lately?"

I stiffened. "Uh. . . Yeah, actually, I have. . They've been off and on, which doesn't help any. It only makes them worse because I never know when I'll have one or when they'll occur. . ."

"I wish there was someway I could help," He sighed.

"It's alright, really."

"If you say so. . . Anyway, we're here."