epilogue

October 2017, Two Years Later {Luke's P.O.V.}

"Come on Luke, please!"

I shake my head stubbornly.

"You're no fun," Ashton says with a pout as he drops the multicolored toilet paper back onto the shelf. "It flipping changed color!"

On the other side of me, Calum pretends to gag. "That's really gross," he says, rolling his eyes. He swings the mostly empty basket as he walks ahead of us to the checkout.

The heavyset woman behind the counter smacks her gum as she scans the items, taking her own sweet time. As she works, I scan the newspaper rack beside the checkout to look for interesting news. The blaring headline of one newspaper catches my eye.

MILTON HOTEL TO BE DEMOLISHED

By: Melinda Song
SP Correspondent

After being taken care of by Sydney's Youth Architectural Appreciation group for the past 37 years, the Milton Hotel has reached the end of it life. The YAA president, Robert  Williams, announced on Monday that the building was "unstable" and that he would "not put the lives of the YAA students on the line to keep the building in shape." Kellen's Wrecking Company will be called in on . . .

"Ashton," I say, handing him the paper. He scans it for a quick second and then hands it to the cashier.

"This too, please."

Rhonda, as her name tag reads, sighs and scans the paper, acting like it took tons of effort.

"Have a nice day," she says in monotone, shoving the bags roughly at Calum after he's paid. He thanks her sarcastically and leads the way out of the shop.

"Why the sudden interest in the news?" Mikey asks, scanning through the receipt. Once he has checked it over, he shoves it haphazardly into his back pocket.

"You'll see," I say. "Can I drive, Calum?"

He hands over the keys.

Once we're all situated, I start the car and pull out of the parking lot. When we're on the highway though, I skip the exit for our street, taking the next one instead.

"You missed the exit," Calum says, leaning forward so his head is between the two front seats. 

"Nope," I say, turning into the deserted parking lot of the Milton Hotel.

"Why are we here?" Mikey asks, peering out of the windows.

"Let's go home," Calum says, sitting back and putting his seat belt back on.

"Last time we'll see it standing," Ashton says as he steps out of the car. "They're demolishing it tomorrow morning."

We follow his lead, climbing out of the car and studying the ancient building. "One last look?" Mikey whispers, already heading for the perimeter of the building. He walks slowly around the corner, emerging from the opposite side a few moments later.

"Maybe we can finally say goodbye to our ghosts," Ashton says, a faraway look in his eyes. I know he's thinking about Clary and the night we had spent in the hotel.

I wrap an arm around his shoulder.

"Maybe, Ashton. Just maybe."

shitty ending :/

BUT YES PEOPLE I AM FINALLY DONE WITH THIS BOOK!!! THIS'LL BE THE VERY FIRST BOOK I'VE FINISHED AND I'M SO HAPPY :)))) I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO THANK GLakegirlFalsePrincess, AND v-ogue FOR ENCOURAGING ME TO FINISH THIS.

AND THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED AND COMMENTED. ILY!

if you want to read more of my writing, check out my next book The Twin Project, or Sleep, a book that is coming out soon :)

byeeee

lazaruseffect xx