Chapter Seventeen: Hello, My Old Friend

It had been a week since Ian and I had that argument about Jeremy. I wasn't sure if that meant that we were broken up or not. Ian hadn't even texted me. I figured he was just giving me my space.

My mom had even noticed that I hadn't been over Ian's house lately. I heard her talking about it on the phone to Tillman. She thought Ian and I might be over, and I'm sure she was happy about it.

I think it might have just been a phase, Patricia. He hasn't gone over there in practically a week now. I told him that he wasn't good for him. That he would only end up getting hurt. Maybe Ian will back-off now, and find someone his own age.

I had to see Ian. There was no way he and I were over. I wouldn't give my mother that satisfaction. I waited until the sun went down to go over. He was always busy working, and I didn't want to disturb him. So that evening I walked over to Ian's place. I knew he was home. All the lights were on.

For some reason, I was nervous. I could feel my stomach twisting in knots as I walked to his front door. I knocked a few times, shoving my hands into my pockets as I waited. It took Ian a few minutes to come to the door.

"Ian," I began. "Can we talk?"

"Now is not a good time I'm busy," he replied a glass of wine in his hand. I chewed on my lower lip as I heard Alan's voice echo from the living room. So Alan could be here, but I couldn't. Why did he still come around?

"But Ian," I argued. "We're not broken up, are we? You know when I said I wanted space – "

"Ryder, I really can't talk about this right now," Ian interjected. "I have to go."

Before I could argue with him, he closed his door shut, locking it. I sighed. Was our relationship just not that important to him? He didn't even hear me out. But he could have fucking cocktails with Alan. Maybe they were sleeping together again.

My mother had been right about Ian. I didn't want her to be. I mean I thought Ian loved me. I thought nothing could stand in the way of that. But I guess age does really matter. I couldn't compete with Alan.

Just as I was near my house, my phone vibrated. Nikki told me to come over. I really didn't feel like coming over, but I guess it beat staying home and listening to my mom.

When I rang Tillman's doorbell, Nikki answered it with a devious grin on her face.

"Can I have the keys to your car?" I should have known from that question that it was going to be a wild night. But of course, I gave her the keys. Eventually I fell asleep on the road. When I woke up, we were in a completely different state. Nikki had failed to mention that the party we were going to was in the state over. It was apparently some big concert thing in the woods that tons of people go to. I don't even remember the name of it. But it was packed, and the music was loud. You could probably hear it from a mile away.

"You didn't tell me this party was in the state over," I huffed. Nikki shrugged.

"If I had told you, would you have come?" Nikki retorted. She had a point. I probably wouldn't have.

"I'm going to get a drink," Nikki grinned. "You stay here. I'll be right back."

Before I could get a word out, she disappeared into the crowd. I swore underneath my breath. I probably wouldn't see her for another hour or so. Nikki always did this. She would bring me, and then she'd ditch me for a half an hour or so. It was never on purpose. She just always got caught up in something or someone.

I walked through the sea of people, aimlessly. I danced a bit, talked to a few concertgoers. When I couldn't take the heat from the crowd any longer, I walked towards the edge, where the least amount of people were. I plopped down onto the grass, resting for a bit. It had only been an hour, but my legs were killing me.